• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A classic permie to contractor question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate these agency perm setups. Right rip off. They'll put you at the client, when your done youll have to go to their office to look for more work which you won't find and they'll make you redundant after a month. Really poor setups. Another reason to walk away from it all.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 July 2017, 15:42.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mcNinja View Post
      Hi. I don't think that's the case. It's being contracted to work on a project at one of their clients. The contract I assume (all I can do at this point sorry) will mention the client company and their project. I wouldn't be told to go and work on other projects for their different clients and once the project is finished my contract I assume is complete.

Maybe I'm being naive but it seems different to the permanent role on offer which would be paid when theres no immediate work and would be told where to go.

I appreciate everyone here has more experience of the ins and outs than I do.

I think the summary so far is if the contract falls inside ir35 then the permeant role is a better choice as theres no real financial rewards and slightly more security.

If it falls outside..?
      You are being naïve.

Either get a proper permanent job or get a proper contract.

This is neither.

If you wish to work with a variety of clients and be permanent then get a permanent job with a consultancy. There are lots out there.

If you wish to get a contract then take a contract where the end client is one particular named client and you have absolutely no ties to the agency once the role has finished.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What SE says. Again, if you are good enough you'll be able to find another one. Don't fall in love with a gig just becasue its there. There are always other ones. If this is the only thing you can get you aren't ready.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You are being naïve.

Either get a proper permanent job or get a proper contract.

This is neither.

If you wish to work with a variety of clients and be permanent then get a permanent job with a consultancy. There are lots out there.

If you wish to get a contract then take a contract where the end client is one particular named client and you have absolutely no ties to the agency once the role has finished.
          My mistake with the terminology. This is a consultancy. So that's what the permeant role would be. But you're right in that it's a bit of a round about way to contract.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I hate these agency perm setups. Right rip off. They'll put you at the client, when your done youll have to go to their office to look for more work which you won't find and they'll make you redundant after a month. Really poor setups. Another reason to walk away from it all.
            I know people who work for the company and it doesn't seem to work like that. I agree though that once their contract is up with their clients then redundancy is on the cards, if there's no other work.

Thanks

Comment

3.) How often (in your experience) are contracts cancelled very early on. The lack of a war-chest makes this a bit of concern so it would have to be a calculated risk.

Thanks for any advice.
              Proof of how much people misunderstand statistics. Lets say there is a 1% chance. You fall into that 1% then whine like hell. It does not make the odds wrong. It makes you unlucky.

I just had a gig and I got the boot after 3 weeks. They have now decided they want me back and I restart August 10th.

Also, I was begged to take a permanent job in 2013. 18 months later I got made redundant. I was well miffed.

If you have to ask, go permanent. But realistically, contract will probably last longer....

Comment

I know people who work for the company and it doesn't seem to work like that. I agree though that once their contract is up with their clients then redundancy is on the cards, if there's no other work.

Thanks
                Could be. We don't know. Information seems to keep trickling out so hard to say but sounds exactly like what Hays did at Barclays awhile ago. Agency trying to cherry pick the roles and pretend to be a consultancy. Friend of mine was through them and as soon as the Barclays gig ended they did a month on the bench and were let go. Bit of a disgrace really. Not sure if they are still doing it.

Comment

Yep, I worked for a 'consultancy' doing exactly this. They were a jumped up agency that didn't give a flying feck whether the contractors they employed were outside IR35 or not.

The contract was outside IR35 to lure me in, but I terminated the contract after they handed me my own consultancy business cards.

Tossers.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks
                    So you trickle information and expect us to give you coherent and helpful advice?

Next time write a longer first message and if you miss things out put it in your next message so people can provide you with useful information.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Trickling information out wasn't my intention. I just didn't know what information was relevant until asked. Good idea I'll edit my original post.

Comment

Working...
                      X