• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting advice required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting advice required

I am currently one month into a 6 month contract working as an engineer in London. The company plan to keep me on if all goes well after 6 months. So basically my options are either moving down permanently to London after 6 months and becoming an employee of the company or moving down to London permanently but staying on as a contractor after 6 months or thirdly finding another job after 6 months. Is it better to change jobs after every contract period as a contractor?

Contracting isn't an option really. They obviously want you as an employee so staying on as a contractor you'd be clearly inside IR35.

I'd take the permie role. You may not be cut out for contracting at this stage.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As a contractor you provide your services to those required for the duration of the contract. Don't believe in the concept where some one says that too many changes in your CV doesn't go well.

For a moment, Imagine yourself as a builder, you are there to do a job and you get out once the job is done. Use this when an agent/client (some are clueless) ask you why you left previous job.

Don't get put off. You are a contractor and you are there to do specific duties within a specific duration. Any one bossing you, just show them the finger and move on to the next contract (hoping that you have relevant skills to do that).

Comment

Ok thanks. Yeah the oil industry is screwed just now so I've taken a contract role because there really isnt much options as an engineer in the oil industry. Because of the downturn would it not be best to maybe stay in this position until it picks up?

Comment

No offence but

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
          As a contractor you provide your services to those required for the duration of the contract. Don't believe in the concept where some one says that too many changes in your CV doesn't go well.

For a moment, Imagine yourself as a builder, you are there to do a job and you get out once the job is done. Use this when an agent/client (some are clueless) ask you why you left previous job.

Don't get put off. You are a contractor and you are there to do specific duties within a specific duration. Any one bossing you, just show them the finger and move on to the next contract (hoping that you have relevant skills to do that).
          WTF was all that??

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            No offence but

WTF was all that??
            Seriously, WTF is this? Which part? Is it the IR35 that you usually mention?

Comment

Seriously, WTF is this? Which part? Is it the IR35 that you usually mention?
              Well it's pretty key when it comes to deciding whether to continue as a contractor or a permie as its clearly disguised employment and so a factor in the OPs decision he's asking about.

And a damn sight more useful than 'show them the finger and move on'

Comment

The majority of engineers are hired for long term projects. So an engineer who repeatedly fecks off after a few months is going to end up having problems getting hired.

I should add I know and have met contractors in many different areas. It is interesting comparing project lengths.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So i'm best continueing as a contractor for the full length of the project and am I right in saying if they give me a contract extension after 6 months rather than a permanent position I can still keep my other flat on and claim accomodation and travel expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by Dockeyboy30 View Post
                    So i'm best continueing as a contractor for the full length of the project and am I right in saying if they give me a contract extension after 6 months rather than a permanent position I can still keep my other flat on and claim accomodation and travel expenses?
                    Well yes and no. Not sure if engineering is different but if they want a permie and are going to treat you like a permie you've got some issues with tax. You'll be deemed a disguised permie and will be inside IR35. If they just want to extend your contract then that's fine..

Regarding your expenses, the 24 month rule is your issue here. You need to go read the guides on the right hand side and the sticky about it. In a brief nutshell, the moment you expect to be in a location over 24 months then you can't claim any more travel and subsistence.

So if you have three 7 month contracts in the same geographical location thats 21 months. They then offer you another 7 month extension, you can no longer claim travel and subsistence from the moment they offer you the extension. You reasonably expect to be there over 24 months.

The guides will explain why this is.

Comment

Working...
                    X