• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Working.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Working.

Just received notification from the company I am contracting with that they intend to offer standard day rate only for Christmas working. We have a major event over the Christmas period and I need a full team in for about a week.

Also - no recompense for on call.

Anyone else have experience of having to work over the Christmas period and is it reasonable to expect an enhanced rate to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Would my day rate contractors be within their rights to refuse to work for standard rate?

Thanks.

What does the contract say about unsocial hours working? My current contract specifies 1.5x for outside normal working hours (i.e. 7pm to 7am weekdays and all day Saturday) and 2x for Sunday.

Frankly, without a reasonable uplift, I'd tell you (or the client) to get stuffed. I would also only do oncall without recompense on the understanding that any work I do is charged at the full uplifted day rate, and I don't guarantee to be sober.

Start negotiating.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hmm i am not 100% sure but I think working bank holidays normally incurs some form of enhanced payment/days off in lieu.

The main question I would ask is why do people need to be in during that period - is it something so business critical that the company will haemorrhage money if it is not done.

Or do you just have some senior bod on a power trip who gets off on ruining people's xmas (like you?)

Comment

Xmas eve is a normal working day unless it's a weekend day no?

I pay the house staff twice their normal rate on Xmas day and boxing day. So that's double **** all.

I have to let the gladiators have the day off. Too expensive.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 26 July 2017, 08:49.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Indeed - in fact even it is at the weekend but part of your normal working pattern it is still just a normal day.

Xmas day and Boxing day are bank holidays so may attract different rules - in fact no they don't!

Bank holidays: five things employers need to know | Personnel Today

Comment

Agreed.

Advise them that you are unavailable for work over the Christmas break as you will be on holiday.

Comment

It is unreasonable to expect you to work bank holidays or weekends unless otherwise stated explicitly in your contract.

Assume you won't be working Christmas day and Boxing day and you are contractually perfectly entitled to refuse if asked. If asked state your terms, i.e. double pay, if they complain tell them it wasn't in the contract and needs to be negotiated separate.

However this is not something you need to discuss with the client. All your negotiations on this issue should be purely with the agency. If the client starts hassling you, then point him to the agency. Obviously your holiday plans should be communicated to the client, this can be done via the agency or you can inform him directly and then you can just add the bank holiday dates as well, just for information.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Due to the fact many people have to travel across the country to family many people take the day off as holiday.

As a result of many staff being away lots of companies let people finish at lunch time or have the day as part of the company's standard Christmas closing holiday.

In all the years I've worked including in IT the only companies that have expected people to work a full day on Christmas Eve have been in customer facing positions or who like Grinch2017 company's management don't have a fecking clue. The latter soon learnt it wasn't a good idea.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch2017 View Post
                  Just received notification from the company I am contracting with that they intend to offer standard day rate only for Christmas working. We have a major event over the Christmas period and I need a full team in for about a week.

Also - no recompense for on call.

Anyone else have experience of having to work over the Christmas period and is it reasonable to expect an enhanced rate to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Would my day rate contractors be within their rights to refuse to work for standard rate?

Thanks.
                  Tell them you are not available. I wouldn't do it, even for 3x rate, as we normally go away for Chrimbo. What does your contract say about Public Holidays?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Due to the fact many people have to travel across the country to family many people take the day off as holiday.

As a result of many staff being away lots of companies let people finish at lunch time or have the day as part of the company's standard Christmas closing holiday.

In all the years I've worked including in IT the only companies that have expected people to work a full day on Christmas Eve have been in customer facing positions or who like Grinch2017 company's management don't have a fecking clue. The latter soon learnt it wasn't a good idea.
                    Indeed - having said the the posters name is Grinch and he is trying to imply Christmas has been stolen so my troll detecter is twitching!

Comment

Working...
                    X