• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bu**er - the "in my mind, they'll never go for it" figure to stay has been offered..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bu**er - the "in my mind, they'll never go for it" figure to stay has been offered..

15 months in (5 extensions, they like me) to a gig where its descending into a pit of outsourced misery. I have a gig lined up for Monday start to add 3 missing bits of infrastructure to my CV and add scale, bump in rate... likely to go beyond 6 months. Notice handed in all good...

Now the current client have countered... extra £200/day, 6 months/end of Jan. This takes it to the figure I had in mind but never thought they reach it...

Drawback: miss out on adding scale (has taken 3 months to line up the next gig, push back due to lack of scale), miss out on gaining Citrix (another gap), It will be a $h1tty gig for 6 months, writing ITTs, 3rd party beauty parades etc. Not something I want experience in and probably a spell on the bench in Feb/March next year.

Positive: and extra £26K for 6 months misery and high chance of failure... (~£23K over the other contract)

What would Jesus, er, YOU do? How much would you want to take over the role of Captain of the Titanic (after the burg has been spotted)

mj
    Last edited by mjcp; 25 July 2017, 15:45.

Move...

Personally, from how you have described it, I would move on. You were looking around for a good reason, and you found the role that allowed you to build up your experience.

Don't forget, the company you work for now won't go away. They will remember you as someone they really valued and liked, and there will be opportunities back there in the future. The 'descending into a pit of outsourced misery' will haunt you in two months time if stay and regret it.

If you are satisfied that the new role is totally solid, I would go.

*also - if the money you have in your new role is 'enough' don't use money as a reason to stay. Money won't make you feel much better in a couple of months if it's all getting worse.

Comment

I'd stay. It's a good boost to the warchest. You can then use some of that for training.

Well done!

Comment

How much is the next client going to sue you for breach of contract?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          How much is the next client going to sue you for breach of contract?
          good point....is the contract signed with the new place?

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
            I'd stay. It's a good boost to the warchest. You can then use some of that for training.

Well done!
            Commercial experience trumps training.

Contracting is about more than purely money.

EDIT: The main point is the op quoted a figure to his current client he didn't expect they'd go to. That smacks of pricing him/herself out of the role as a way to leave with a valid reasoning, that the client couldn't meet his/her financial demands. Lining up another role is also indicative of not wanting to stay.

Having gone to all those lengths to leave... why would the op want to stay in what the op views as a negative environment having made the effort to leave? Still going to be a crap environment several months down the line, warchest increased and still lacking commercial experience in several areas that they have already identified... for me it's a no-brainer. Leave, take the new role.
            Last edited by perplexed; 25 July 2017, 16:31.

Comment

I'd stay for loyalty reasons as well its not always about pure money because if its outsourced misery then in 6 months still likely to be outsourced misery so more opportunity for you. The longer you stay the more they value you which is why they are offering an extra £200 a day now. Take it and be grateful there are lots of bench warming contractors about right now!

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
                15 months in (5 extensions, they like me) to a gig where its descending into a pit of outsourced misery. I have a gig lined up for Monday start to add 3 missing bits of infrastructure to my CV and add scale, bump in rate... likely to go beyond 6 months. Notice handed in all good...

Now the current client have countered... extra £200/day, 6 months/end of Jan. This takes it to the figure I had in mind but never thought they reach it...

Drawback: miss out on adding scale (has taken 3 months to line up the next gig, push back due to lack of scale), miss out on gaining Citrix (another gap), It will be a $h1tty gig for 6 months, writing ITTs, 3rd party beauty parades etc. Not something I want experience in and probably a spell on the bench in Feb/March next year.

Positive: and extra £26K for 6 months misery and high chance of failure... (~£23K over the other contract)

What would Jesus, er, YOU do? How much would you want to take over the role of Captain of the Titanic (after the burg has been spotted)

mj
                I’d stop bullshiiting...

Comment

My first rule when picking any contract is what does this contract give me that I can take to the next contract and will make that contract more likely / profitable...

Hence I would go for the new company...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Surely if you've got a figure in mind d to stay and they pay it then your decision is made??
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X