• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to leave current contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blossom View Post
    My contract is actually only an 8 hour day, and yes in theory I could just do the hours and shake it off. It's hard though....i'm not genrally the kind of person who can do that (I really wish I was and need to take steps to get better at that).

A lot of the problem is how I'm handling it and I'm caving into the demands rather than pushing back. This is what everyone on the programme is doing though, it's like a whirlwind where nobody is managing upwards, managing client expectations etc. (It's a huge, juggernaut of a programme in investment banking and I work for an external consultancy/ supplier). It's put me off working supplier side a little, although I do have a consultancy background.

I'm used to doing generally fairly long hours demanding deadlines, fast paced etc, and tried to do all I can to meet the demands, but i think with this one being so extreme, i've just ....erm... lost the plot a bit

Having read these responses, I feel in better shape to take my next steps. I doubt i will see out my contract, I will do a thorough handover document, but not going to kill my self over the next couple of weeks by taking the stress.
    I guess this client could be HSBC, the big tower in Canary Wharf. When I was there years ago, full time employees worked regularly at weekends and were even proud of it. (How sad?)

I often wonder why the upper echelon's of management rush everything, crush every staff member and demoralise the lower-level workers? The deadlines from the top were artificial, incomprehensible and made-up. They were never going to be fast and lean business with that legacy infrastructure and hundreds of misaligned misintegrated applications. There were some small pockets of teams doing "hot development Skunk-works" with Scala, Clojure or F# whatever it was potentially ground-breaking at the time. Unfortunately, those "hit" teams operated like tiny guerrilla army squads lost in a corporate jungle of waterful SDLC / main frames / XML / SOAP and bad propriety web applications. Agile it was not. Black shoes and formal dress. Sigh.

There is a lot of hype around agile transformation / digital transformation / infrastructure transformation. I have yet to see a big corporate business really do it properly. You should be really glad that you are leaving and gaining your health back. At the same time, I feel sorry for the sucker that inevitably will replace you and also thinks that they can change the organisation: they won't. Sad, but true.
    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 26 July 2017, 12:30. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
      I guess this client could be HSBC, the big tower in Canary Wharf. When I was there years ago, full time employees worked regularly at weekends and were even proud of it. (How sad?)

I often wonder why the upper echelon's of management rush everything, crush every staff member and demoralise the lower-level workers? The deadline from the top were artificial and made up. They were never going to be fast and lean business with that legacy infrastructure and hundreds of application.
      There were some small pockets of teams doing "hot development" with Scala, Clojure or F# whatever it was at the time. Unfortunately, they were like tiny guerrilla army squads lost in a corporate jungle of waterful SDLC / main frames / XML / SOAP and bad propriety web applications. Agile it was not. Black shoes and formal dress. Sigh.

There is a lot of hype around agile transformation / digital transformation / infrastructure transformation. I have yet to see a big corporate business really do it properly. You should be really glad that you are leaving and gaining your health back. At the same time, I feel sorry for the sucker that inevitably will replace you and also thinks that they can change the organisation: they won't. Sad, but true.
      Could be pretty much any bank in the city TBF
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
      X