• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immediate termination of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

And there goes the last remnants of any sympathy for your plight.

+1

Comment

Originally posted by angeleyes View Post
      deciding to immediately terminate me because legally they could and I couldn't do anything about it.
      Nail. Head.

Move on and find something else. And for god's sake, a minutes silence?

Comment

Originally posted by angeleyes View Post

I know some people have said that it's part of a contractor's lot and we should just suck it up etc but I think it unfair that the onus is always on us to be professional yet the client can be as unprofessional as they like. In case people haven't noticed, the market has slowed down somewhat over the past year and when your contract is abruptly terminated you are then faced with a long gap until the next assignment. At the minute I'm actually getting very close to missing a mortgage payment if something doesn't turn up as the last year has been very hard to get a decent assignment paying anything worth working for.
        Yes it's part of a contractor and contractors can do the same to the clients. You need to see it in a positive perspective.

Comment

Not observing a minute's silence? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Not observing a minute's silence? Really?
            It may not be that to be fair.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It may not be that to be fair.
              When a man does something there are usually 2 reasons. A good reason and the real reason....

Comment

First things first, you say you are struggling to pay off your mortgage and finding another contract wont be easy at this market, what can be done to save your home? Not sure if you have a family or on your own? Can you downsize, move out rent a smaller home, or move back to parents house and rent your house to pay the mortgage?? This is your priority now.

Second take some time to think, most people's thoughts here are delivered harshly but cut through the harshness and do some reflection, most of us here had to learn the hard way, trust me, the best of them here also had contracts terminated with no notice for whatever reason, most just developed a thick skin, resilience and built a warchest for such situations, whether they were terminated or they had to walk out due to impossible work situation... and still there is no guarantee that any of us may not get terminated immediately for any simple reason a manager wa*ker may come up with. Reflect on what you did / said, even if you were 100% right, its best to reflect how such a situation could have been avoided. But at the end of the day termination of a contract happens this is the nature of contracting ... I was unlucky to have two projects one after the other getting canned, and was out of contract suddenly ... whatever, I just move on !

If contracting is making you unhappy and not sustainable for you now, there is no shame in going back perm ... most people here had to go perm for whatever reason then went back to contracting after a perm period, nothing is wrong with that.
                For now you need to think practically and not wait for things to happen, you need to get up dust yourself and save your house, and get a new job, it maybe difficult but not impossible !!

Comment

Just thought I'd throw this one in. More of a thought experiment than my genuine opinion:

If you're inside IR35 and considered an employee for tax purposes, should you then logically be entitled to the benefits that come with being classed as an employee as well as the downsides, and therefore have the same rights as an employee?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                    Just thought I'd throw this one in. More of a thought experiment than my genuine opinion:

If you're inside IR35 and considered an employee for tax purposes, should you then logically be entitled to the benefits that come with being classed as an employee as well as the downsides, and therefore have the same rights as an employee?
                    Logically, possibly. But logic doesn't come into it - taxation and employment status do not go hand in hand, so you could win one tribunal but lose the other.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Logically, possibly. But logic doesn't come into it - taxation and employment status do not go hand in hand, so you could win one tribunal but lose the other.
                      I was thinking more morally than legally. I certainly wouldn't want to try and argue it in court although it would be interesting if someone did.

I often wonder what tax Uber/Hermes contractors/employees pay, and if they would be happy to suddenly start paying full PAYE if they are officially recognised as employees.

Comment

Working...
                      X