• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Job Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Job Market

Hi All,

This post is aimed at those looking for a new contract role and their experiences.

1 - How are you finding the contract job market right now (busy, quiet, responsive to you, etc). Ive been looking for PMO contract work since April and apart from some very short term stints in between finding it extremely quiet

2 - Im quite active on linkedin. What is your experience with finding work through it? Im skeptical as personally its like finding a needle in a haystack for a role or suitable connections (apart from every agency wanting to link with me!) Does anyone have experience of how it can be particularly useful?

3 - I have 10 years experience working on Central government contracts and find potential clients slow reacting. Does anyone have similar experience and how do you get round this?

4 - Does anyone have first hand experience of good networking events for PMO's (Im also security cleared to SC level)

Many Regards & thanks for reading!

Originally posted by jas View Post
    Hi All,

This post is aimed at those looking for a new contract role and their experiences (thankyou for clarifying this).

1 - How are you finding the contract job market right now (busy, quiet, responsive to you, etc). Ive been looking for PMO contract work since April and apart from some very short term stints in between finding it extremely quiet
    I am work in the PM space and have found the market okay, not brilliant, all year, although am conscious that lots of other candidates apply for the same roles as I do. Having said that I have been in contract all year

2 - Im quite active on linkedin. What is your experience with finding work through it? Im skeptical as personally its like finding a needle in a haystack for a role or suitable connections (apart from every agency wanting to link with me!) Does anyone have experience of how it can be particularly useful? My last 2 roles have been secured through LinkedIn, 1 through a contact and the other through a job ad. I would say I have applied for more roles on there than say Jobserve over the past year. I do connect with agents to build the network but then unfollow them so as not to get their posts.

3 - I have 10 years experience working on Central government contracts and find potential clients slow reacting. Does anyone have similar experience and how do you get round this? This ties in with your point 1.Not sure how you get round it other than have a killer CV, keep applying for roles, chase up agents and be good at what you do. Works for me.

4 - Does anyone have first hand experience of good networking events for PMO's (Im also security cleared to SC level) Are you a member of the APM or PMI or similar ? They offer lots of networking events for the PM/PMO community and some are pretty good too.

Many Regards & thanks for reading!
    Comments above in bold.
    Last edited by kaiser78; 11 July 2017, 13:40.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...arket-122.html
      Read backwards will tell you all you need to know!

Comment

Working...
      X