• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with notice period - Offer letter conflicts with Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with notice period - Offer letter conflicts with Contract

Hi there,

I'm about to hand in my notice from my current job.

My problem is that the notice period stated in my contract is 3 months. However, the original offer letter states only 1-month.

When I was signing up with this company, the offer letter was sent to me in a single email with the contract to sign by the employer. The offer letter is also signed by him but not myself. I only returned a signed contract to him without really checking the differences then.

Please help me if my argument of using 1-month notice can stand.

Is the offer letter sent together with contract by the employer part of the contract so when they conflict, only the less favourable term to the employer can be used?

Thanks in advance.

Which one did you sign? It's that one. Read your contract better next time.

This is a permanent gig you are resigning from yes?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 July 2017, 16:44.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, it's a permanent job. I agree that the 3-months notice term in the signed contract should stand but just wondering whether the offer letter sent in a single email with the contract containing the conflicting 1-month term could challenge the contract?

Comment

Dunno but they could just turn round and say you were told before you signed which you can't prove either way. It would make you look like you are just out to have your cake and eat it I would have thought.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do you have a contract lined up already? Just explain to your manager the situation. Maybe they will let you leave earlier than your notice period, especially if you do a good job handing over.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Dunno but they could just turn round and say you were told before you signed which you can't prove either way. It would make you look like you are just out to have your cake and eat it I would have thought.
            Being a permanent job you could probably argue the point that the clear notice period mentioned in the letter overrode what was in the contract. A conversation with HR that began my solicitor was surprised to see the letter contradicted the hidden contract clause may focus their minds...

I wouldn't be using that argument with a contract role as that is subject to business to business rules where legal advice is deemed to have been sought...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The later of the two forms would be the one that takes precedence. Where they are sent together it's the one that you signed and accepted.

FWIW, you may find that a lawyer advises you that a three month notice period is unreasonable. I'd guess that most companies wouldn't want you to be there unhappy and able to sabotage things for three months.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X