• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handling 'guidance' re WFH

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
    Is your issue because you want to work from home more than 1 day a week?
    No it's because he feels he is under too much direction and control by being dictated to which day he can wfh.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
      Is your issue because you want to work from home more than 1 day a week?
      Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      No it's because he feels he is under too much direction and control by being dictated to which day he can wfh.
      This all came about because I had one big task that I had to do and I said that I was going to "Do this at home tomorrow" the reply I got was "But you wfh on a Monday? We're only allowed to wFH one day a week" and "We have to have the same rules for everyone".

I have never worked on a contract before where anyone is bothered where I work from. Like most people, I pretty much choose where I need to be sensibly each day, based on the nature of what I have to do.

But this is already being blown out of proportion, especially as it's on the back of another contractor stating that he would be "Unavailable" for two weeks because he's going on holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
        This all came about because I had one big task that I had to do and I said that I was going to "Do this at home tomorrow" the reply I got was "But you wfh on a Monday? We're only allowed to wFH one day a week" and "We have to have the same rules for everyone".

I have never worked on a contract before where anyone is bothered where I work from. Like most people, I pretty much choose where I need to be sensibly each day, based on the nature of what I have to do.

But this is already being blown out of proportion, especially as it's on the back of another contractor stating that he would be "Unavailable" for two weeks because he's going on holiday.
        That explains it a bit more than the opening post, which sounded like you were just stirring the pot.

If your contract stated you can work where you want, I'd tell the PM that and and tell them since they're a contractor too, that they aren't a party in said contract and they don't have the authority to dictate terms or overrule it. If they're persistent about it, then either ignore and see what happens or raise the issue with the appropriate person who works for the client.

The bit in bold is just total bulltulip and p!ss poor project management, IMO. Consistency for consistencies sake.

Comment

OK, the new version of the story is considerably different to the original one. Sounds like there is a break down in comms between the PM and you.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It makes it a lot easier to help when we know the real story!! :P

Falling back on the IR35 argument helps less, but using what was agreed in the contract is better. Even better, manage the PM. Sounds like they like conformity, and regularity, perhaps it helps them feel more in control. If it was me, I'd be already sitting down with them and agreeing a set number of days per week that I'll be in the office, the the days I won't. Unless anything urgent comes up which changes the schedule. And I definitely wouldn't be picking a Monday as one of those WFH days (unless I'm commuting from far, far away).

Falling back on the ir35 thing probably blew it up as I imagine that was the last thing the PM expected, and saw it for what it was.

Comment

if there ever was an investigation on any of us and it was found that we has all been given this instruction then we'd potentially all be seen as disguised employees and there would be tax implications for all contractors and the client and any agencies.

The lady doth protest too much...Reality of this happening on scale 0-10?
              Clarity is everything

Comment

WFH is very common in financials and is very common where I am. It's a resourcing issue as there aren't enough desks for people so they rota people working from home, contractors and permies alike.

You are making waves and trying to causing an issue where there simply isn't one. From an IR35 perspective why do you need to be on site ? Does D&C kick in because they tell you to WFH one day a week and specify what day it is ? Or are you just responding to your client's need in a professional manner and doing as they ask ? Where is there any case law from an IR35 investigation that supports anything you say ?

When I take holiday I phrase it as 'I'll be off for 2 weeks in August ...' - if they made an issue of it then I might push back and say I'll be unavailable, or I might just as easily change the dates if it's going to cause a problem. I certainly wouldn't dream of saying 'From an direction and control standpoint you can't tell me what to do' because, apart from looking like an arse, it would be totally impractical.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  if there ever was an investigation on any of us and it was found that we has all been given this instruction then we'd potentially all be seen as disguised employees and there would be tax implications for all contractors and the client and any agencies.

The lady doth protest too much...Reality of this happening on scale 0-10?
                  This. Again and again.

Comment

Thank you, everyone. Good to get your collective opinions on this.

I'm aware that I like to argue a point into the ground sometimes - the wife will attest to that one - so I'll just quietly melt into the background and let this one go.

Comment

... so I'll just quietly melt into the background and let this one go.
                      Right decision...some battles worth fighting; some not.
                      Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                      X