• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent wants copy of passport to submit application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would expect this as a normal part of the onboarding process, last one the agents offices were 60 miles away - we did the f2f via Skype.
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

If you are sure the agent is legit then it is fine. Are you sure its not a scam?

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Scan the first page say you will be happy to bring it with you to the interview (if you get one). Personally I would not be happy posting it to them at all.

I agree. Email scan and take original with you, though agency may need you to visit their office to check it in person to comply with the rule 100% (a scanned copy will not suffice).

If you get the interview and offer then you are in position (they won't want to lose you easily) to ask the agent to visit you to see the original, or meet them halfway at a motorway services or train station.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by achilles View Post
          An agent has asked me for a scanned copy of my passport in order to submit my application to the client (a Government body). This is before I have even been offered an interview. Is this normal?

I have never been asked for my passport before an offer has been made.

Please let me know your experiences with this.

Thanks,

A.
          You could always just send a scan certified by a solicitor. I would have thought that that's enough due diligence.

I would never send my passport in the post though. By courier maybe, but I'd want the agency to pay for that.

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
            You could always just send a scan certified by a solicitor. I would have thought that that's enough due diligence.

I was told it had to be the original, no scan or certified copy. Fortunately I had an old passport still in date as had recently renewed it, so sent that and they accepted it. Only indication it wasn't current is the missing corner that the passport office cuts off when returning old ones. They didn't say it had to be current.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

For the current gig I was asked for scan of passport. I provided. I was then told it had to be witnessed by anyone. Having a random person sign it, they then asked for "I certify this is a true likeness of". Then they decided they needed an original scan with nothing on. They had lost my original email.

No surprise the UK is going to the dogs.

Comment

What If you don’t have a passport?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Fair question but if not having one is a blocker to your livelihood wouldn't it be worth getting one?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Other forms of ID.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Your interview is with the client but it's the agent that needs to check you eligible to work in the UK so taking to interview is no good. They have a legal requirement to check.
                      His contract will be between the Agent and his Limited, won't it?

Do they issue passports to Limited companies?

Supply the agent with a letter on your Limited Company's letter head stating that [MyCo Ltd]. has performed all necessary due diligence and can confirm that [OP's Name] is eligible to work in the UK. Sorted.

Comment

Working...
                      X