• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching supplier agents, the consequences

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theronin View Post
    Thanks for replying northerladuk. Much appreciated. Interesting points you raise there. I did the homework. The contract doesn't say any of the handcuff stuff you mentioned and I even double-checked to make sure it was something people do at this place. Turns out it is possible. The current agency is in breach and they know it especially with the stuff they did. The client has a number of suppliers they work with and I (assume) can choose to go with one of their other existing suppliers (one already expressed interest).
    If you don't have a handcuff then you need to find out who the person who procured you talks to in the main agency. They will have a list of sub-agents who are acceptable.

Originally posted by theronin View Post
    I guess what I REALLY want to know is what blowback IN THE FUTURE in other contracting roles with said agency can I expect? My fault for not being clear from the outset. With regards to the current role/contract, I've got them dead to rights, they are in breach and they messed up royally. I guess I'm asking, do agencies "talk" and "target" individuals like in the wild west... you know "you'll never work in this here town again, son!"
    That kind of thing
    There are loads of agencies and in them there are loads of individual agents. So unless you are working in a very niche area then don't worry about fecking off the agent.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      How can we give any advice if we don't generalise or give further information? We get so few facts and poor information what else can we do? Handcuffs are very common and be happy to guess they are there much more often than not. So it might not be there but might save the OP coming back and having to ask another question.
      What's the problem with the OP coming back to ask another question?

There are plenty of others who can answer them if needs be - one of those others will tell the OP to tell the full story and read their contract.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        If you don't have a handcuff then you need to find out who the person who procured you talks to in the main agency. They will have a list of sub-agents who are acceptable.

There are loads of agencies and in them there are loads of individual agents. So unless you are working in a very niche area then don't worry about fecking off the agent.
        Thanks SueEllen

I've already spoken to one acceptable agent and also spoken to the person from the main agency if the switch is possible (they said "yes") but you raise an excellent point about asking the main agent about a list of acceptable sub-agents. I only really have spoken to one other agent so far. I should take a look-see at said list of acceptable sub-agents.

Not working in a niche area at all. It's saturated in fact. Almost every lay-person (chiefly friends and family) I've spoken to about this have all said "don't worry about the agent, sack them off" but I didn't want to be shortsighted and make a decision without thinking beyond the moment so I thought I'd pose the question to experts such as yourselves.

Emotionally, because of the behaviour of the offending agent/agency, I immediately thought what you thought, but took a second breath and wondered what the blowback might be.

What are other's thoughts on SueEllen's second suggestion of not worrying about the agent?

Comment

She's right. The chances of you needing them for a other gig in the near future. Very slim. Chance of you getting the same person... Very slim. If they are this crap do you really care? No.

Pissing one agent off that's in a chain and not very good affecting your future contracting career? Nil.

Fill your boots.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            She's right. The chances of you needing them for a other gig in the near future. Very slim. Chance of you getting the same person... Very slim. If they are this crap do you really care? No.

Pissing one agent off that's in a chain and not very good affecting your future contracting career? Nil.

Fill your boots.
            Well, that's it then. It looks like there's no real blowback. I just didn't want to burn any bridges too soon when I didn't have to. I will read over my complaint email again and tone down the parts that sound a bit harsh where I can. After all, I'm not complaining to get someone fired or make them look bad. I just don't trust them with looking me as a candidate especially if the client is likely to extend my contract (I heard today ). Why should they keep getting a cut if they aren't even able to sort out the little things let alone all the things I initially outlined in the initial weeks? If things were smooth, there'd be no problems.

Thanks, guys and gal - you rock

Now then, on to toning down that email (in case anyone's wondering why I'm doing that, the complaint email is required to kickstart the switching process) - I want to switch, I just dont want to make any enemies along the way, cost anyone their jobs or you know... after all, humans are quite fragile.
            Last edited by theronin; 27 June 2017, 19:48.

Comment

Working...
            X