• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tyrant PM - Quit or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyrant PM - Quit or not?

Bottom line is I have a right tyrant of a PM and I keep getting the sharp end of her tongue.

I'm not asked to carry out tasks, I feel like I'm being ordered around & she's constantly checking up on me.

Been biting my tongue for a few weeks now but this is coming to a head (just had a mouthful from her at 7.30 am as soon as I walked through the door) & I feel I'm just going to give her a piece of my mind and walk.

As I contractor, I'm guessing I have 2 options - one is to tough it out the other is to walk. No inbetweens.

How do you deal with this sort of thing? Any of you ever just walked out? I guess it puts payment of your most recent invoice in jeopardy?

Here's the thing...

If she's being an arse then she has a motive normally when I see that behaviour its because the victim is not leaning in hard enough and as a result they are having to come down into their hiding place to find them. The only way to work with PM's is to look at their project plan and start following it and asking questions before you need to so that they can see that they dont need to herd you as well as manage a plan that is nearly always wrong.

Not every one is built to be a PM and some people just accidentally end up there. The best way to work with any PM is deliver and manage UP never let them get to a point where they have to ask where a deliverable is.

Comment

There is an inbetween. Stay put for a while and look for another contract and walk out as soon as you signed one.

Comment

I have tasks to do in Jira. I start things then she suddenly decides to yank me off them due to reprioritisation so I'm getting pulled from pillar to post.

She wants to micromanage everything & her latest thing is to get us to log everything we do in an email at the end of each day. Each ticket worked on, time spent, what was done, tests performed etc. I pointed out that's what jira's for - no need for an email as I log my work in there.

It's micromanagement for the sake of it. But this is only one aspect - the woman's just plain rude and disrespectful in the way she speaks to developers. She sits right behind me so there's no avoiding her.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          There is an inbetween. Stay put for a while and look for another contract and walk out as soon as you signed one.
          I'm up for renewal in 6 weeks but am not accepting if one is offered. I just need to survive day to day without blowing my fuse and walking out. Got a 4 week notice but for what it's worth may as well stick it out.

I guess that's the real question - has anyone ever been in this situation & how did you stop yourself going postal? Or has any of you ever gone postal over a personal issue like this & did you still get paid?

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            I guess that's the real question - has anyone ever been in this situation & how did you stop yourself going postal? Or has any of you ever gone postal over a personal issue like this & did you still get paid?
            You stop it by overloading them with deliverables and giving them everything they want really bloody fast... Its a bit like a SYN flood attack they can't cope and just stop talking to you.

Comment

Tough it out. That's what i'd do. Use it as a learning experience and how you managed key but difficult stakeholders in your next interview question ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                I'm up for renewal in 6 weeks but am not accepting if one is offered. I just need to survive day to day without blowing my fuse and walking out. Got a 4 week notice but for what it's worth may as well stick it out.

You suck it up and get paid, or you leave and don't. There is no middle course. Your choice.

Personally I would have gone long ago, if I was asked to do idiot make work like re-logging stuff I'd already recorded. IF that left them in a hole for resources, then tough, not my problem. I'd also console myself with the thought that I have the choice while the numpty PM is too stupid to survive outside their little bubble of importance.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Personally life is too short to do things and work in places you don't enjoy. I would just walk away....

However, being a contractor means I have enough money to say f*** you and leave... I find that reminding people of that has a remarkable impact on people's behavior towards me.

At last clientco one person who annoyed me was explicitly told by management within 10 minutes to lose their tone and attitude within the office while I was there (she was an utter cow to everyone) as otherwise I would leave resulting in the entire project failing. Clientco thought I had 2 weeks notice, I had zero seconds and stated I was happy to use it... From what I hear her improved behaviour has remained even 6 months later.
                  Last edited by eek; 23 June 2017, 08:50.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'd quit. It's just a few weeks left anyway, so impact on your cv won't be too bad. Life is too short to work for bullies.

Comment

Working...
                    X