• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule

Might be getting an extension, I'm assuming asking for the contract end date to be before the 24 month rule kicks in is crossing the line?

Well kind of but have to work out whether you are going to lose out if they bin you at the earlier date at the end of the gig and don't renew. Couple of weeks work not claiming T&S could be much better. Don't let the tax dog wag the tail and weigh your options up.

There is an argument you expect the gig to go over the threshold so it should really kick in from the beginning of the extension. Up to you if you want to run that risk.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

24 month rule

Good point. Might have to redo the numbers

Comment

I was in a contract role for 28 months...then took a 6 month break and now obtained a new contract in a similar location to my last contract...does the 24 month rule reset due to the extended time off?

Comment

How much of the previous 24 months were you in one location (in percentage term)?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Daplayer321 View Post
            I was in a contract role for 28 months...then took a 6 month break and now obtained a new contract in a similar location to my last contract...does the 24 month rule reset due to the extended time off?
            There is a sticky covering everything about the 24 month rule here. You need to be thinking about the 40% rule now to work it out but I don't think it will if you run the numbers. I am sure exactly this is already asked in the thread.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-nutshell.html

Comment

I've looked through half that thread for my question and have given up, so here it is!

Re: 40% Rule / 14.4 months

What happens here:
              I'm in City A for 24 months
              I'm in City B for 15 months
              I'm offered a gig in City A again

Does the "24 months count" completely reset once I've been away from City A for 14.4 months? (I guess not)
              or
              Will I be caught by the 24 month rule just a few weeks into the new gig as I'll soon have been there over 40% of the last 24 months?

Comment

This article has a different example but mentions the reset.
                https://www.contractoruk.com/success...st_bypass.html
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 May 2018, 14:05.

Comment

Thanks NLUK

That's good news. Seems the clock does reset when I guessed it wouldn't

Comment

Those 24 months were in the same location...the last 4 months I was WFH 3 days a week.

Comment

Working...
                    X