• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Skillsets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
    Oh, remember to use the term ELT instead of ETL

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
      I thought it was an Egg, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich!

Comment

Is anyone devops engineer here? Looks like rates are pretty good
        But the skills required are as long as my arm

As a dba and having worked on linux it would have been an easy transition,
        but it looks like it's a mix of linux admin,dba,network admin, java/C developer, storage manager ,middleware admin ,everything rolled into one role.

where do they get these guys from

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

As a dba and having worked on linux it would have been an easy transition,
          but it looks like it's a mix of linux admin,dba,network admin, java/C developer, storage manager ,middleware admin ,everything rolled into one role.

The Devops I've dealt with are mainly from systems admin backgrounds. They then learn the other skills on the job.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Dev Ops = failed coders who think they can do automated builds with overrated gui-based software like Puppet et al.

Dev Ops = all the current buzzwords in one role.

Dev Ops = Devious Opportunists...

Thankfully there are no Dev Ops-based units infesting V-ger's Planet/current clientco.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Dev Ops = failed coders who think they can do automated builds with overrated gui-based software like Puppet et al.

Thankfully there are no Dev Ops-based units infesting V-ger's Planet/current clientco.....
              That's unfair.

A couple of the people I've engaged with in that role just said their job title changed and they found themselves doing more stuff. They weren't bothered as they got to learn new things -
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                That's unfair.

A couple of the people I've engaged with in that role just said their job title changed and they found themselves doing more stuff. They weren't bothered as they got to learn new things -
                I just hate.... the general public.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Pillock. And since when did anyone really serious about it use the Puppet GUI as more than a dashboard?
                  Last edited by SeanT; 23 June 2017, 18:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    Yes they are.
                    Yes they are, and those are just the "hard" skills. There is a strong correlation between this and your previous statement across the board though.
                    London mostly, but I'm from Cov.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor
                      Most devops I know are ex server support & or have done the rounds going from job to job in the devops space. Long unsociable hours & lots of responsibility to flag or fix urgent issues usually with a follow the sun 24/7 global support team to ensure the problem goes away before the London markets open hence why big money as you cannot afford to be a slacker and wait you have to be constantly proactive & on the ball no sneaking out clubbing or to the takeaway !!! just because its midnight in London for instance.

Also for some reason a lot of devops in London I met were mainly from Australia, NZ or S Africa!!! (all good guys as well). Not an easy field to break into unless you have been a perm with the same company for a long time and worked your way into the role then by that time you will have all the skillsets required so can then move on but it also takes many years to gather the SME knowledge required in server, linux shell commands, powershell scripting, & router admin across a complex global LAN. It is however one of the few roles they outsource as its mission critical regardless of the business type so if you can get in I do not see it going anywhere anytime soon as few IT directors ever want to be held accountable for cost savings in such a critical operation (unless they are British Airways of course!!!!).

Perm would be the way in first unless you can find a role where they will train the skillsets you lack but that's very rare as they usually only have just enough to cover the 24/7 shifts. There are few extra resource even in investment banks with virtually unlimited IT budgets they still keep the staff numbers to the minimum they can get away with as typical perm salaries for these roles are £65-80K PA + shift bonus + banking benefits like low mortgage rates, company credit card etc etc finally as its proper 24/7 that usually means you also have to cover every single weekend as well no working from home support so expect to be on the shift rota to do 1 in 3 weekends all year round. A lot of the time the work is mundane and mainly going through checklists, running batch scripts to test for reliability or speaking to people on the phone in other time zones. You really earn your money when there is a serious issue & how you cover that, cover yourself (by following the procedures & documentation), and communicate up the chain of command to ensure if its going to stay broken you do not get the blame for circumstances outside your control like some 3rd party vendor not wanting to play ball.

I know a little bit about this field as I have worked closely with the devops staff at several banks and often found myself spending hours with them shooting the breeze. A lot of the time it seems like they are just slumming it (as they are!!) but when a server breaks, UPS fails, LAN goes down after an upgrade, virus spreads rapidly or some other near disaster these people really earn there money and often have to stay beyond the shift end so they can in rare cases be there for so many hours its not worth going home! If you want to move into this field be aware its a lot of time commitment (shifts are usually 12 hours) and responsibility (hence the high rates & lengthy requirements).
                      Nothing about this post vaguely resembles my last five (DevOps) roles...

Comment

Working...
                      X