• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 On Previous Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 On Previous Contracts

Hi All,

I have done 2 contracts previously both been outside of IR35.
    I have now been engaged by a public client which will fail inside IR35 and will process this under an umbrella company.

The question is will HMRC now retrospectively investigate / look my contracts prior because i have now had a contract in IR35 ?

Thanks

What makes you think they will?

You are declaring the situation properly so why do you think they'll come back and retrospectively investigate you?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What makes you think they will?

You are declaring the situation properly so why do you think they'll come back and retrospectively investigate you?

I didn't know if you declared a specific contract inside IR35 then if they would look at previous work and start an investigation on the status ?

Assuming i can choose a contract inside IR35 and declare it then i can later on choose a contract outside IR35 and for that to be okay ?

Comment

You need to think a little more about this rather than play tick box IR35. You asked a very basic question two years ago and the same was mentioned back then. If you understood IR35, why it's there and different the reasons a certain determination was reached you wouldn't need to ask this.

IR35 status is per contract. You assess the contract and work either inside or outside as the situation dictates. Why on earth do you think they will retro inspect contracts when you are applying the proper determinations to each one as you should be doing?

If the other ones were truly outside then let them inspect them. What have you got to worry about? Unless you just ticked the outside box and didn't understand why.......
        Last edited by northernladuk; 16 June 2017, 13:21.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          If the other ones were truly outside then let them inspect them. What have you got to worry about? Unless you just ticked the outside box and didn't understand why.......
          An IR35 investigation is always worrying, whether you think you are outside or not. Which is one reason why professional representation is a must in these cases.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
            Assuming i can choose a contract inside IR35 and declare it then i can later on choose a contract outside IR35 and for that to be okay ?
            Yes. You can even have concurrent contracts where one is inside and one is outside, as I do at the moment.

As long as you declare the correct tax and NI, then that's the important thing.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X