• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding Contract jobs in Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding Contract jobs in Germany

Hi All,

I live in London with family, my wife is from Germany and at some point we will be moving to Germany, no plans to move anytime soon. No, I don't speak German.

I am currently contracting in UK, I have been contracting for the past two years, I was permie before that, almost 10 years. I would like to contract in Germany to get some experience in that market but I don't know where to start. What sites to look at? Any agencies to register with. I have created a profile on xing.com so far that about it.

I am in IT, I am Solution Architect in my current role now. I do a lot of infrastructure stuff, mainly virtualisation and cloud.

I would appreciate any help and directions.

Thanks

There is a sticky at the top of this very thread that covers who to inform which you will probably need to read and may have some other good info for you.

There might be some threads on the same topic here as well...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ge...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

From my experience of looking the last few months, the problem tends to be is that whilst there are quite a few jobs, and they all want people with English, they tend to also say "sehr gute Deutschkentnisse", and I feel with my B1 to getting there slowly towards B2 level German there's not much point. Maybe in another year or so I'll be good enough.

There are English speaking companies. I found quite a few leads from jobsincologne.com (there's jobsinberlin, etc. etc., but they all have the same jobs for the whole country).

But I'm in the code monkey market so may be different.

Veilleicht solltest du mit dem Deutschlernen anfangen?
      Last edited by VectraMan; 15 June 2017, 19:12.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Company I was perm with (Kuehne + Nagel) often have vacancies and their universal language is English.

Is it worth hooking up a perm role, with a similar multinational, learning the language whilst immersed in the country and then making the switch to contracting?

Comment

My advice would be to check out jobserve and apply for the contracts advertised in English.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
            Company I was perm with (Kuehne + Nagel) often have vacancies and their universal language is English.

Is it worth hooking up a perm role, with a similar multinational, learning the language whilst immersed in the country and then making the switch to contracting?
            Perm role is a big commitment, I would prefer contract engagement. But in the long term, it will be a case of taking perm job, move and settle and then switch to contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              There is a sticky at the top of this very thread that covers who to inform which you will probably need to read and may have some other good info for you.

There might be some threads on the same topic here as well...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ge...hrome&ie=UTF-8
              Are you always teaching people how to use Google search?

Thanks, the search results is quite interesting and it is very active topic indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by maxm View Post
                Perm role is a big commitment, I would prefer contract engagement. But in the long term, it will be a case of taking perm job, move and settle and then switch to contracting.
                Like I said, might be better long term. Learn the language whilst immersed but on the perm gravy train.

Comment

Contracting is getting harder here due to ANÜ/AÜG. Where I currently contract they let around 80 go when the law came in:

https://www.gulp.de/knowledge-base/1...pril-2017.html

Das neue Arbeitnehmerüberlassungsgesetz (AÜG) 2017 | Kanzlei Hasselbach
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

no plans to move anytime soon.
                    Better start thinking about it, after Brexit it may be a lot more difficult

Comment

Working...
                    X