• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding Contract jobs in Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They won't chuck him out as she can work to support them both.
    The problem is she will need a job with an income above a certain limit before husband (and children if they only have British citizenship) is allowed to stay permanently. After Brexit he will be treated the same as any other non EU citizen

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Was similar for me in Denmark, all work talk was in English, office chit chat all in Danish, made one feel a bit isolated.
      I am in Sweden right now (just across the bridge from Denmark). Both work talk and office chit chat is in English.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
        I am in Sweden right now (just across the bridge from Denmark). Both work talk and office chit chat is in English.
        On the flip side if you want to learn the language, working somewhere where they only speak English isn't going to help.

Last week I sent off my c.v. for a job in Germany that said English speaking, but it was a German agent. They emailed me back with a form to fill out (grrrr) and said "please subscribe to the so-called Einwilligungserklärung. That means "informed constent" but how am I meant to subscribe to it? WTF?

Fortunately I understood the German version of the email text which said "Bitte unterschreiben Sie die Einwilligungserklärung". "Unterschreiben" means sign, so sign the declaration. Obviously they'd mistranslated it: unter - sub. Think of U-boats. Makes sense.

Having done that they've now asked me to rewrite my c.v. in German. I posted here about this a while back, and a few people had said they'd got by with an English version and I'd been told elsewhere that unless you were good at German you should stick to English.

The moral of the story is even professional Germans aren't as good at English as people think.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          No it isn't
          Kids were also born in Germany, so....

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Contracting is getting harder here due to ANÜ/AÜG. Where I currently contract they let around 80 go when the law came in:

https://www.gulp.de/knowledge-base/1...pril-2017.html

Das neue Arbeitnehmerüberlassungsgesetz (AÜG) 2017 | Kanzlei Hasselbach

Thanks for the links, I will look into this.

Comment

Originally posted by maxm View Post
              Kids were also born in Germany, so....
              Do they have German citizenship, being born in a country in itself doesn't mean anything. Even if they have German citizen ship, you don't so that still makes it difficult for you to move permanently (and have the right to work) to Germany (of course after brexit and depending on what the end results of the negotiations are going to be)

Comment

Working...
              X