• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    After nearly 5yrs as a perm, I'm coming back to freelance. Anybody ever used a CV review company, and what was the success / outcome?
    Waste of time-money. Just DIY use common sense keep it within 3-5 pages depending on your skillset, keep it neat and tidy format wise. Remove any age identifying info and only go back about the last 10-15 years max unless your going for senior or management roles. No-one is interested in beyond the last few years really anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      Waste of time-money. Just DIY use common sense keep it within 3-5 pages depending on your skillset, keep it neat and tidy format wise. Remove any age identifying info and only go back about the last 10-15 years max unless your going for senior or management roles. No-one is interested in beyond the last few years really anyway.
      I disagree - not everyone is good at marketing themselves or know how best to articulate key points. I have seen such awful CV's and it is such an important document that sometimes a small investment & second opinion can help massively. What is straight forward for some is not always for others.

Comment

I went with The Fuller CV. £400 for garbage and hostile customer service when I complained.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 16 June 2017, 08:14. Reason: URL Removed

Comment

@ OP you also need to understand your CV is a self marketing document and only a way to bypass the agency & get in front of the end client. They will give it the once over so it must be relevant & look good but also be concise and easy to read as getting it past 2-3 people in the agency is your first hurdle then probably another 2-3 people at the end client before you earn the interview. Most of the time agencies will reformat your CV anyway in the rush to remove all your contact details from the CV they often reformat and sometimes through gross incompetence alter the formatting & or lose vital info from the actual CV in their rush to imprint the agency logo into the CV! You would be amazed how far removed your CV looks from the one you submitted for the role by the time you arrive for the interview.

Finally your CV is just marketing tool to get the interview the real work is selling yourself within the interview framework & responding to the questions in a manner which reveals your the ideal candidate & also giving examples at the same time on your CV of how & why your the right person. With these simple but effective techniques your 70-80% of the way towards securing the role. I went on an intense 2 day CV writing course a few years ago when sitting on the bench at the time & was amazed how simple & common sense techniques produced the required job offer for me within days of the course ending!

Use lots of concise bullet points avoid rambling long sentences & pro tip of the decade!!! use white words !!! Find several keywords from the jobspec then type those onto your cv at the very end (does not have to be the very end but usually easiest to avoid breaking formatting) but make the font colour white so they are hidden !!! is a guaranteed way to ensure your cv does not get binned or even picked from the 100s the agency may receive in the initial rush of applicants.

Even with all of this its still as always down to your strong interpersonal skills & positive interview technique but good luck to you anyway.

Comment

As a newbie contractor I nearly got sucked into one of those paid for reviews. Fortunately a friendly agent who id placed people with gave me some advice.

It's just a case of having several CV versions, playing to strengths of particular roles. Don't part with your hard earned - it's not worth it and you'll be disappointed.

Comment

This is waste of money, instead of spending money on CV review you can do some useful Training related to your technology/business and update it in CV.

You can find many CV formats online and change it as per your skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                These guys featured on CUK run webinars and offer a review

Contractor CV review - why get your CV reviewed? :: Contractor UK
                I attended one of those webinars just over a year ago. Kept two versions of my cv after it. One in the way they told you to do it and one in the way I always did. Sent both versions off to many agencies. The webinar version zero replies, the old version tens of replies several ending up in interviews and one in a contract. Needless to say I deleted the webinar version

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  I attended one of those webinars just over a year ago. Kept two versions of my cv after it. One in the way they told you to do it and one in the way I always did. Sent both versions off to many agencies. The webinar version zero replies, the old version tens of replies several ending up in interviews and one in a contract. Needless to say I deleted the webinar version
                  Maybe it's something within certain industries - my friend had the exact opposite, whereby he had no responses to a "traditional" CV but found a role within a week using the new format.

Different horses for different courses
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

These guys featured on CUK run webinars and offer a review

Hi all - I just saw this post. The webinars we have done talk about 2 CV types, the traditional chronological CV (with our suggested optimisations) and a more portfolio based CV. The portfolio style CV is only for certain people and we have several stipulations that need to be met before we deem it appropriate for a customer. We present it as an option which can work great but we don't pretend its a silver bullet. The chrono CV (which we recommend still contains 3 case studies) is the safe option. You're welcome to contact me for a free and genuine critique of your CV and I'm happy to discuss the merits of using a professional service offline. Cheers - Matt

Comment

I used Matt's service about a year ago, when I was still in 2 minds about contract or perm. I first put out the chrono CV for perm roles. My original CV wasn't that bad, but I could see the improvement in using the new ones. I got immediate hits, and my 2nd perm interview converted into an offer. 14 months' later I went back into contracting, and dusted down the case study/portfolio CV. After 3 interviews I got a gig, secured in one month after serving notice on my perm role. That was the degree of confidence I had in the CV. BTW, Matt was also available for follow-up and advice/tweaking the CV template - no extra charge, one year later. I'm not sure all agencies would do that?

I'm no slouch at marketing myself, but after several years of doing the same thing with your CV and being referred for new assignments rather than competing thru agencies, I was prepared to accept the game may have moved on, and some 3rd party input wouldn't go amiss. For the cost, I thought it well worthwhile. You just have to do your homework and align with the proven CV agencies.

Just to be clear, I am in no way connected to Matt or his business.
                      "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X