• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice regarding day rate needed! Is agent trying to fleece me?!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IME, agents that advertise a job with a far higher rate than others after candidates have interviewed for the role are just cv fishing.

The other thing IME is it is usually newbie or relatively inexperienced contractors who fall into this 'Ive seen my role advertised at a far higher rate than I was told about. Should I try and re negotiate?'

Comment

Originally posted by Northernercontractor View Post
      So I have just bet 3 other people for one position - contract A. .....

Another agency contacted me regarding contract A but they seemed to be offering more...up to 475.

Is the agent lying?
      Probably. Have you considered the possibility that the second agency is actually representing one of the contractors you beat, and merely wants to queer your pitch?

Comment

If the £50 is a game-changer, go with B unless A can match it. Don't dismiss B, though, until A is signed and sealed and you're on site.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

This is the sort of dirty tricks they play. Rate is everything right now. 2 days ago I was speaking to an agent about a role @ £xxx a day. While I was on the phone to him I noticed the same agency advertising the exact same role on Jobserve again using slightly different wording & the rate had dropped £70 a day in the space of 10 minutes! So I asked him was it the same client (yes) was it the same role (yes) are you dropping the rate because you know you can get away with it & or know there are way more candidates than roles (yes!). They also had the same role on another site with no rate to see how low they could get away with. He was totally unapologetic about it and just laughed when I said it was a little underhand. I passed anyway am happy to let someone else do it for below market rates!

Comment

Market rate goes up and down and is whatever a contractor will accept. If there are a lot of contractors applying for a role then the market rate goes down. If the agent's margin is high then that is a temporary phenomenon because the client hasn't figured out what the market rate is, and when he finds out will push the rates down to squeeze the agent's margin. What a client won't do is squeeze the agent's margin for the benefit of the contractor.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              What a client won't do is squeeze the agent's margin for the benefit of the contractor.
              Some will I have had several clients who accidently on purpose (!!) show me the exact amount on the invoice they are paying to the agent so I can get a better deal from the agent!!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                Some will I have had several clients who accidently on purpose (!!) show me the exact amount on the invoice they are paying to the agent so I can get a better deal from the agent!!
                That is because the market rate has risen and therefore they are effectively raising your rate to prevent you from leaving. The agent is more or less irrelevant, they compete with each other for the smallest margin. In a difficult market, clients rarely wait long to enforce rate reductions across the board. There is only one "real" determinant of rate, and that is supply and demand.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X