• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caught out recruiter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught out recruiter

So on Friday I got an email from an agency I'd had an interview through recently. Only it wasn't meant for me, but rather a company they were fishing for a placement with using MY CV, without my permission.

He also said in this email that my day rate was cheap (useful to know, it's now going up) and had made mistakes in my work history compared to the anonymised CV (100% my CV).

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement, but I refrained from ripping recruiter a new one and just politely replied asking for my details to be removed and that I didn't want an explanation from him as he was trying to call 5 times in the space of 20 mins. His actions were enough.

I'm contemplating 2 things. Whilst I will never use that particular recruiter again, do I blackball the whole firm or does that just cut my nose off to spite my face? One bad egg or a whole rotten agency?

Can I also assume, as this idiot was acting without my permission, I'm free to go direct to the company the email was meant for?

Chickenlegs

Name and shame my Dear, name and shame...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by chickenlegs View Post
      So on Friday I got an email from an agency I'd had an interview through recently. Only it wasn't meant for me, but rather a company they were fishing for a placement with using MY CV, without my permission.

He also said in this email that my day rate was cheap (useful to know, it's now going up) and had made mistakes in my work history compared to the anonymised CV (100% my CV).

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement, but I refrained from ripping recruiter a new one and just politely replied asking for my details to be removed and that I didn't want an explanation from him as he was trying to call 5 times in the space of 20 mins. His actions were enough.

I'm contemplating 2 things. Whilst I will never use that particular recruiter again, do I blackball the whole firm or does that just cut my nose off to spite my face? One bad egg or a whole rotten agency?

Can I also assume, as this idiot was acting without my permission, I'm free to go direct to the company the email was meant for?

Chickenlegs
      Should file a complaint to be honest. If behaviour like this isn't highlighted it'll continue.
      Like with bribery etc, it's the responsibility of the company to ensure people are working ethically too, so it's never just "one rotten egg" who should be allowed to continue getting away with it. Must be an organisation this behaviour can be reported to, surely? Hopefully someone else answers that question.
      Should be big fines for this.

Comment

I copied the entire email and my reply to their main mailbox. Couldn't find any other email address for them on their website.

The agency was Hydrogen Group.

Comment

I've only just noticed my CV had been renamed to xxxx-companyCandidate.docx. Which was not the company the email was meant for or any company I've said to be put forward for.

Might mean nothing, might also mean my CV has been severely doing the rounds

Comment

I think you've got them bang to rights actually. Don't let them off the hook by thinking it might be nothing.

They've been pimping out your CV to all and sundry.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I think you've got them bang to rights actually. Don't let them off the hook by thinking it might be nothing.

They've been pimping out your CV to all and sundry.
              I'm really concerned now that that's precisely what's gone on.

But what can I do about it?

Interestingly, there was another document attached, called CVTerms. In my 'red mist' state, I'd only read the first page, and assumed it was introduction terms. I've now read it all after starting this thread. It's their standard head contract, got their margins in it and everything!

Some good has come of it, I know exactly what my direct rate should be

Comment

Re submit your CV with a bullet point in page two that says 'Hydrogen are tulip, don't use them'
                The agent won't read it as usual but the client will
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is this should a bad thing? The CV was anonymised so the client doesn't know it's you. Clearly the agent valued your CV and skillset enough to want to use it to try and gain a new role. A role that the client would want to interview you for.

Maybe not great that the agent didn't let you know they were doing it but no big deal surely?

I've had my CV used in the same way in the past, although I admit I was asked first if it could be used. I've also seen my profile on a specific agent's site and again not been too concerned as my name is not linked to it, and if it did get a client asking to see me on the basis of this then for me that would be a boom.

Most of us get our roles via agents. The agents need to do work to secure those roles that we can apply for. We're on the same side at the end of the day.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Is this should a bad thing? The CV was anonymised so the client doesn't know it's you. Clearly the agent valued your CV and skillset enough to want to use it to try and gain a new role. A role that the client would want to interview you for.

Maybe not great that the agent didn't let you know they were doing it but no big deal surely?

I've had my CV used in the same way in the past, although I admit I was asked first if it could be used. I've also seen my profile on a specific agent's site and again not been too concerned as my name is not linked to it, and if it did get a client asking to see me on the basis of this then for me that would be a boom.

Most of us get our roles via agents. The agents need to do work to secure those roles that we can apply for. We're on the same side at the end of the day.
                    If I was asked first, I would probably have bee ok with it. And maybe I'd be happier if it was an actual role rather than a fishing expedition. But he's spamming people with my CV it looks like.

Yes it's a bad thing. Its a small world, I'm easily identifiable from my CV and the fact that this twonk mentioned other things that one LinkedIn search is all it would take. They're *my* details, and I keep track what positions I have applied for. I dont want to apply for the same position multiple times, making me look daft.

I have quite a large network, and I don't want my contacts thinking they can't come to me direct, because this guy thinks he's introduced me to them, when he doesn't have my permission to do so.

And giving them a day rate off the bat, without asking me, very wrong. Saying I'm available on a specific date without checking, also wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X