• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caught out recruiter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chickenlegs View Post
    If I was asked first, I would probably have bee ok with it. And maybe I'd be happier if it was an actual role rather than a fishing expedition. But he's spamming people with my CV it looks like.

Yes it's a bad thing. Its a small world, I'm easily identifiable from my CV and the fact that this twonk mentioned other things that one LinkedIn search is all it would take. They're *my* details, and I keep track what positions I have applied for. I dont want to apply for the same position multiple times, making me look daft.

I have quite a large network, and I don't want my contacts thinking they can't come to me direct, because this guy thinks he's introduced me to them, when he doesn't have my permission to do so.

And giving them a day rate off the bat, without asking me, very wrong. Saying I'm available on a specific date without checking, also wrong.
    I do agree with the bold above ... but that is OK as he hasn't introduced you with your permission and therefore you could still go direct and he would have no comeback.

But, like I say, it could also open doors you didn't know were even there.

It's a fine one and you have one view (which I respect and understand) but for me personally I don't think it's such a big deal. If you don't expect to ever need to use this agency again then get shirty with them .... if you think you might need them then it may not be worth cutting off your nose.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Yep, don't be too worried by it. It's not the end of the world - I suspect that emails from this agent are junked anyway without anyone reading your CV.

Just don't let this agent off the hook if he tries to speak to you again.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I really don't see an issue here? He is trying to sell you to a client? His job?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
          I really don't see an issue here? He is trying to sell you to a client? His job?
          He's not trying to sell the OP the agent is saying to potential clients 'I have candidates like this".

The problem is when your CV is unique you can be identified from it whether it is anyomous or not, so the agent should have asked the OP does he give permission for his CV to be sent out to potential clients.

I've been asked before and my response is "No".
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Re submit your CV with a bullet point in page two that says 'Hydrogen are tulip, don't use them'
            The agent won't read it as usual but the client will
            You clearly have more observant clients than I have encountered

Comment

Personally I can't say I'd be that bothered but my skills are ten a penny and as such, the CV would be unlikely to be traceable to me.

I'm just a PM with defence and logistics experience. Oh to be identified even from an amateurishly anonymised CV

Comment

When I was a permie, my CV was sent to my own manager. This guy, local, good matching skills....lol.

Comment

One bad egg or a whole rotten agency?
                  Are you kidding? It's a whole entirely rotten industry!

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
                    Personally I can't say I'd be that bothered but my skills are ten a penny and as such, the CV would be unlikely to be traceable to me.

I'm just a PM with defence and logistics experience. Oh to be identified even from an amateurishly anonymised CV
                    Your skills may be ten a penny, but I'll bet your client history with relevant client names and dates is pretty unique. Meaning that, if I could find a matching client history or partial history - think LinkedIn, a snippet of a blog or forum post or the loose lips of an agent - I could relatively easily match it back to you.

Never underestimate the power of such "big data" analysis. In fact, with such analysis virtually everybody's CV could be traced back to them.

Comment

I copied the entire email and my reply to their main mailbox. Couldn't find any other email address for them on their website.

The agency was Hydrogen Group.
                      Put in a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act. Make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.

Comment

Working...
                      X