• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what is a "good" rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Good rates" are also country specific and dependent on your tax setup. A flat number (unless it is very large) is meaningless without context. In Germany it used to be around €700 per day, until tax laws on freelancers changed. In Sweden €900 per day (or £800) is still good considering the tax situation. Declared UK rates are definitely down on the job sites, but that could be as much a reflection on the use of other recruiting channels (LinkedIn etc) for higher quality positions, as anything else
    ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

I started out on £500 a day in London about 5 years ago.

I then got offered £450 a day about 20 minutes from my house and I stayed there for two years until I returned to the perm world.

The highest I ever went for was £1200 a day. I would have loved that one :-(
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
        Obviously everyone's perception may be different. But there I always talk of a "good" rate. For me anything £400 and above is a good rate for a PM / PMO role. How about you?
        Looking at the market stats, I would say £450pd is the average offered rate, £650pd is a good rate and anything over £800pd is an excellent rate.

The truth is anything that pays the bills and you find interesting is a good rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
          I work in automation / devops type roles, and for me £450 is decent outside of London. £550 if I have to commute into the big smoke.
          Both pretty average bordering on low now imho. Seem to be a few firms trying to drive these down though.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Times change.

Java when it was the big thing in the 90's, I knew a guy on 2.5K per day.
            That wasn't unusual.
            And we wonder why everything went titsup
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Also depends on sector - Financial Services is obviously very different to e.g. Public Sector.

Across all contracting I would say 450-550 is a good rate outside FS.

For me, I also factor in work/life balance and how interesting the work/company looks. However, not everyone can afford that luxury in the current market.

Personally, good is 600-700, great 750+.

My last rate was 600 in a not for profit. A mate was doing almost an identical role for 900 but I wouldn't have swapped as I genuinely loved the work, my colleagues and the organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                Also depends on sector - Financial Services is obviously very different to e.g. Public Sector.

Across all contracting I would say 450-550 is a good rate outside FS.

For me, I also factor in work/life balance and how interesting the work/company looks. However, not everyone can afford that luxury in the current market.

Personally, good is 600-700, great 750+.

My last rate was 600 in a not for profit. A mate was doing almost an identical role for 900 but I wouldn't have swapped as I genuinely loved the work, my colleagues and the organisation.
                For a 50% higher rate I would genuinely love the work, my colleagues and the organisation

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  For a 50% higher rate I would genuinely love the work, my colleagues and the organisation
                  For 50% higher rate I would genuinely make love to my work, colleagues and the organisation also

Comment

Working...
                  X