• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract daily rate pay cut or 4 weeks notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naq View Post
    a) Is right and/or legal to force notice on a contract for not accepting a change in conditions? (Understandable at renewal but not mid-contract).
    b) Is the agency in some way liable for the miscommunication that brought about this situation in the first place? (Otherwise, I'd still be in contract for the forseeable future).
    Who are the named parties on your contract ? You and the agency ? If so then what has the client got to do with any of this. It's extremely unlikely that the client are going to take your word over that of the agency and even if they did where would that get you ? They can renegotiate at any point they choose and you don't have any time left on your contract except your notice period. I suspect there is something more to this but I would say start looking for a new contract, and in future remember you're just a resource and nothing else.

Comment

Illegal or not, don't worth burning your time and your brain.

Thanks for replies so far.

Yes, I am a little annoyed. A 2-year gig is good but low compared to some in the same location (some 8+). It is what it is but with 3 months left on my existing contract, the questions I have are:

a) Is right and/or legal to force notice on a contract for not accepting a change in conditions? (Understandable at renewal but not mid-contract).
      b) Is the agency in some way liable for the miscommunication that brought about this situation in the first place? (Otherwise, I'd still be in contract for the forseeable future).

I'm definitely looking elsewhere now and echoing some of the comments above, a 2+ year gig is good, however, a 3+ one would have been better!

Thanks again for any advice given.

N

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Funny things rate cuts.

It should be noted they do not necessarily affect everyone in a particular org, regardless of what is communicated, because:-

Some contractors simply refuse and they are needed so the rate doesn't get cut.
        Some contractors don't even get asked.
        Some agencies / consultancies have some kind of contractual arrangement, with the client, which means the rate cannot be reduced.

In fact I know someone that refused a cut and then asked for and got extra at renewal

This was true in my case. 5% rate cut given or notice to be served, one month of contract left with good chance of extension. I refused it and said I was going to look around. It was then retracted within the week. But I had found another role which was only for 3 months but excellent day rate. I had the agent ask me to stay on, but I told them about the other role and I had committed to it.
        3 month's went by and small new project was completed. Original client asked for me back. Probably lucky in this case, but I find rate cuts very hard to swallow.
        “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

Take the extension and do 10% - 2.5% less work.

Comment

What a tulip agency. So they could have negotiated with you and at least kept a placement...

Only thing you can do is put your cards on the table with the client? but guessing by 'irreversible miscommunication' means you have done that already.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Funny things rate cuts.

It should be noted they do not necessarily affect everyone in a particular org, regardless of what is communicated, because:-

Some contractors simply refuse and they are needed so the rate doesn't get cut.
              Some contractors don't even get asked.
              Some agencies / consultancies have some kind of contractual arrangement, with the client, which means the rate cannot be reduced.

In fact I know someone that refused a cut and then asked for and got extra at renewal
              You really are a snide ****.

Comment

If it were me, I'd get on the phone to the agent and say, "You've really screwed me over on this one, and it seems you owe me. So how about getting me another role? What do you have coming up?"

This really only costs you if you end up on the bench. If they get you another role, all is good. Maybe they'll get you one that is less likely to get you dragged inside IR35.

Comment

Thanks for replies so far.

Yes, I am a little annoyed. A 2-year gig is good but low compared to some in the same location (some 8+). It is what it is but with 3 months left on my existing contract, the questions I have are:

I'm definitely looking elsewhere now and echoing some of the comments above, a 2+ year gig is good, however, a 3+ one would have been better!

Thanks again for any advice given.

N
                  It's not right but it is legal. Sounds rubbish but you have to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    If it were me, I'd get on the phone to the agent and say, "You've really screwed me over on this one, and it seems you owe me. So how about getting me another role? What do you have coming up?"
                    You: "You've really screwed me over on this one, and it seems you owe me. So how about getting me another role? What do you have coming up?"
                    Agent: "Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha" <hangs up>

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
                      If there are people there contracting through an ltd for 8+ years, there are probably bigger issues to worry about...
                      Yeah, like where to source a wheelbarrow big enough to carry all that filthy lucre!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X