• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to be the best pal of both parties.?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to be the best pal of both parties.?

My last few gigs putting me in a bit of trouble it seems!

In that last gig I was contracted to a equipment vendor working with a service provider client. I made sure I serve the best for the vendor which means had to rub service provider client colleagues in the wrong way more than once. My vendor employer is absolutely happy with me start to finish but looks like the client side still have some grievances. I worked there nearly 2 years so wasn't bad with delivery to the client.

I just got a rejection notice for a role with that service provider client after a tele chat which I thought finished excellent! (this is different rejection from the one I mentioned in my other post related to hiring manager!!). This role was with another business unit of client co and people I worked in the past not involved in the process directly.

Is there a better way to make both parties happy and not to burn bridges with other party without making your employer asking "are you working for me or them"..??

Thanks, 2 rejections this week so bit worried.

Don't rub anyone the wrong way? I know it seems pretty obvious but that in itself is a key skill. Especially where the two parties are supposed to be working together.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
      Don't rub anyone the wrong way? I know it seems pretty obvious but that in itself is a key skill. Especially where the two parties are supposed to be working together.
      Art of saying 'No' with a smile!!

Comment

You seem to be struggling with this 'people' thing. IMO become a dev, code stuff and keep away from the soft skills.

Just remember though.. A friend to all is a friend to non...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Perhaps if you provide details of "rubbing the wrong way" we might be able to advise you how it could have been avoided. Kinda hard to provide you with silver bullet formula for any possible situation in the future...

Sounds like the service provider was a client of your ClientCo, hence by extension your client, if they weren't impressed by your service in the past it's no wonder they decided to drop your application in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Perhaps if you provide details of "rubbing the wrong way" we might be able to advise you how it could have been avoided. Kinda hard to provide you with silver bullet formula for any possible situation in the future...

Sounds like the service provider was a client of your ClientCo, hence by extension your client, if they weren't impressed by your service in the past it's no wonder they decided to drop your application in this case.
            Usual issues when you are the point of interface to a demanding client (6 PMs + 3 Prgm Mgers) and working for a vendor that tries to save every penny and keep resource level to minimum!!

So had to say 'No' to 'nice to have' requests from client PMs/PrgMs and focused on 'Must have' items. Nothing more!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You seem to be struggling with this 'people' thing. IMO become a dev, code stuff and keep away from the soft skills.

Just remember though.. A friend to all is a friend to non...

Yes, I have to say my vendor employer is putting my CV forward for another SP gig...happy with that

trying to see how to make both parties happy next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                Usual issues when you are the point of interface to a demanding client (6 PMs + 3 Prgm Mgers) and working for a vendor that tries to save every penny and keep resource level to minimum!!

So had to say 'No' to 'nice to have' requests from client PMs/PrgMs and focused on 'Must have' items. Nothing more!!
                It's not what you say but how you say it.

So for example if there is a deadline when stuff has to be delivered you talk about the deadline at length then eventually say it isn't possible due to that restriction.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A hard no doesn't sit well with anyone. What do you do if someone tells you "no". You retaliate! There are better ways, this is a skill to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
                    A hard no doesn't sit well with anyone. What do you do if someone tells you "no". You retaliate! There are better ways, this is a skill to learn.
                    yup

Comment

Working...
                    X