• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to handle inferiority complex of Permie hiring manager..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come across as someone you'd actually want to spend time with, not a methodology robot.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      Come across as someone you'd actually want to spend time with, not a methodology robot.
      I thought he was after a contract, not a date
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Ermm...

You should be asking how you can help them. It's not about being (or perhaps only feeling) superior. They know their business far better than you do, all you're there for is to fill in a quite small missing piece.
        My last tele interview was with a 4 year experienced IT perm consultant, after every question she said
        " I know you might have see this in many places you worked, but I am just asking"!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Very true, as I'm usually engaged as an SME, I would be both extremely surprised and disappointed if the interviewer was as experienced as me.

You can make them comfortable saying that in interview but to get interview you need to pass screening where "Excessive Experience!!" is a problem!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
            My last tele interview was with a 4 year experienced IT perm consultant, after every question she said
            " I know you might have see this in many places you worked, but I am just asking"!!!
            You should have answered:- "Yes I have, but I have experienced many different reasons for it across the organisations I have worked."

Or you could have answered:-

"Yeh, done 'undreds of these."
            Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 23 May 2017, 10:39.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've seen a couple of contractors let go in the past for being too smart ass, I'm sure others have too.

Smash the work, don't be an arse, don't EVER discuss money with the permies, and make client co manager look good.

I've never had a manager type give me hassle before, but noticed disgruntled permies doing the same type of job who turn their noses up at contractors, and generally go out of their way to be unhelpful. Ignore them as best you can.

Comment

IMHO "Excessive Experience!!" reference is more down to them realising that the rate they are paying is marginal and someone like you with "Excessive Experience!!" is very likely to drop the contract the moment they find a better paying contract, than hiring manager insecurity.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  I've never had a manager type give me hassle before, but noticed disgruntled permies doing the same type of job who turn their noses up at contractors, and generally go out of their way to be unhelpful. Ignore them as best you can.
                  In my old gig as a permie, one of the programme managers had a go at the contractor I had recruited for one of their projects, their output and day rate were apparently mentioned...

I was never disgruntled, but it make me make the jump to contracting!

Comment

Happened to me last week at an IB. Agent came back to me saying "Client feels, at the moment they don't need such a high level of experience you have...!"
                    Last edited by Brummie; 23 May 2017, 19:12.

Comment

I had it at an IB.

Firstly, he apologized at not being able to meet my rate.

Then he said what an excellent CV that I have, then he followed it up with I believe you would just get bored here

I felt like saying why did you call me in here, to see you, in the first place
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X