• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Risk and Reward - 5 years off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Olly

Similar thought process to me but I don't have the startup opportunity that you appear to have. I am 50% WFH and I use that time to flex between Plans A and B. Perhaps you could do the same - could you contract 3 days a week offsite and then work on the startups for 2 or 3 days a week?

Time does fly by faster as you get older and in my 40s I am already becoming more and more aware of my mortality. We only have so long on this Earth so do what you need to do and then do what you want to do; plan for it and make it possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Hi Olly

Similar thought process to me but I don't have the startup opportunity that you appear to have. I am 50% WFH and I use that time to flex between Plans A and B. Perhaps you could do the same - could you contract 3 days a week offsite and then work on the startups for 2 or 3 days a week?

Time does fly by faster as you get older and in my 40s I am already becoming more and more aware of my mortality. We only have so long on this Earth so do what you need to do and then do what you want to do; plan for it and make it possible.
      The current setup should afford me the time to do some of that but tight deadlines mean 4 months of 6-7 day weeks solid so it's just not happened. When this project goes live maybe the extra time I've been spending on it can be diverted to at least one of those opportunities. But which one? I can't take on more than one even with a regular paced contract.

Comment

Would not waste any money on a startup you need deep pockets to ensure they continually succeed. How would you feel about losing your shirt on one...well it would be gutting & make you very unhappy as unless your hands-on its putting your future in someone else's hand's. If you have to try something look at trading the financial markets directly is far more lucrative as long as you make the right decisions but they are your decisions alone so you cannot blame anyone else if it fails. You need around £100K to open a viable account and if you only make a few % a day its a lot of money over a few months. Whatever you do avoid the non FCA regulated online firms as they are crooks and manipulate the trade to take your money as they see both sides of the position so delay the trade in their favour.
        Direct Market Access - London Stock Exchange
        You cannot go any higher than this as a private investor without a high 7 figure bank balance! This is what most traders do when they hit their 40s-50s and they are no longer able to move into another trading role for an IB.

Comment

Working in a startup can be a hugely invigorating and rewarding experience and one that will provide a lot of satisfaction if you don't measure the success or failure of it in pound notes.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Would not waste any money on a startup you need deep pockets to ensure they continually succeed. How would you feel about losing your shirt on one...well it would be gutting & make you very unhappy as unless your hands-on its putting your future in someone else's hand's. If you have to try something look at trading the financial markets directly is far more lucrative as long as you make the right decisions but they are your decisions alone so you cannot blame anyone else if it fails. You need around £100K to open a viable account and if you only make a few % a day its a lot of money over a few months. Whatever you do avoid the non FCA regulated online firms as they are crooks and manipulate the trade to take your money as they see both sides of the position so delay the trade in their favour.
            Direct Market Access - London Stock Exchange
            You cannot go any higher than this as a private investor without a high 7 figure bank balance! This is what most traders do when they hit their 40s-50s and they are no longer able to move into another trading role for an IB.
            I have zero interest in stocks, shares, banking, etc. I've only contracted in IB so long because the rates were higher. The work and subject are boring as hell. Besides, I want something more than just financial reward, I'd like to go on a journey and leads to something to be proud of - creating something from scratch and delivering jobs for others and a little wealth for myself.

Comment

Perhaps you should have included your appetite for being philanthropic in your first post? Might have made people respond in a different manner?

Personally I'd just suggest doing what you wanted to do and what you think would make you happy, everything else is supposition.

Comment

No kids? Do it. You only live once.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                  Carpe Diem and all that.
                  Fish of the day?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    "
                    I cannot stop thinking about just selling up in the UK (no kids, etc) "

Thoughts?
                    Personally, I'd be off travelling. Back-back, cheap flight, freedom = experience and invigoration. I'm also also approaching 50 and travelling around, for example, India, is exactly what I'll be doing if I've not found a contract by end of year - which is increasingly likely by the looks of it, market is dead for my skills. Then it'll be time to jack in IT for good and finally start reaping the payback for all work stress and time spent living away from home in a Travelodges. And when I return, casual/voluntary work until I fancy going travelling again. Bide my time for 5 years , then I can get my hands on pension fund....and I can then go...travelling yet again. All courtesy of my good lady, who is more than happy for me to go away for 3 months at a time (not sure if that is a vote of confidence on our marriage, or not !)

I say go for your venture, if it motivates and you can accomodate the risks, there's no reason not to, else you'll only regret it.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Fish of the day?
                      Carpe is the second-person singular present active imperative of carpō "pick or pluck" used by Horace to mean "enjoy, seize, use, make use of". Diem is the accusative case of the noun dies "day".

Obviously.

Comment

Working...
                      X