• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday pay in Sweden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday pay in Sweden

Hello,

I am a UK citizen and I live and work in Sweden. My temporary contract, however, is with a UK recruitment company who recruited me specifically to work for a large Swedish organisation. I have been in this contract since September 2016 and I have right of residency but not citizenship in Sweden.

Does anyone know whether I am entitled to 25 days paid holiday which everyone in Sweden is entitled to by Swedish law or can the UK company override this and not pay me any holiday pay as I am directly employed by them?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards

SJ

If your contract is with a UK company, then it is UK law.
    Are you paying tax in Sweden?
    Does your contract say that the end client will pay you when you don't work?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      If your contract is with a UK company, then it is UK law.
      Are you paying tax in Sweden?
      Does your contract say that the end client will pay you when you don't work?
      Hello

I am paying tax in Sweden.

My contract does not say the end client will pay me when I don't work.

Regards

SJ

Comment

Originally posted by Serena Joy View Post
        Hello,

I am a UK citizen and I live and work in Sweden. My temporary contract, however, is with a UK recruitment company who recruited me specifically to work for a large Swedish organisation. I have been in this contract since September 2016 and I have right of residency but not citizenship in Sweden.

Does anyone know whether I am entitled to 25 days paid holiday which everyone in Sweden is entitled to by Swedish law or can the UK company override this and not pay me any holiday pay as I am directly employed by them?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards

SJ
        The Posted Workers directive can be used for contracts up to 6 months. Any longer than that Swedish laws apply (including social security). You can get an A1 certificate from HMRC to not pay social security in Sweden for up to 2 years (provided that you do pay NI in the UK). Also, holiday pay would most definitely apply.

The standard (minimum) number of paid holidays is 25 days (not including public holidays) if you work for a full year. Holiday pay is higher than normal salary. Take your annual salary, overtime pay etc, before taxes and multiply by 12%. Then divide by 25. That is the extra pay you should receive for every paid holiday you take. UK companies instead tend to pay a 10% annual bonus. Same thing - sort of.

This is all based on the assumption that you are employed by the UK recruiter. If you use your own limited company in Sweden then your own company will have to provide you with that, and if you haven't registered for F-tax then you are already breaking the law there.
        Last edited by m0n1k3r; 26 May 2017, 17:48.

Comment

Working...
        X