• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

taking long breaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Very appropriate avatar given your name
    One does try...........
    “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

I took more than 2 years off. I found a new contract after spending 4 months searching.

Originally posted by slogger View Post
      Hi,

I was wondering what peoples experiences have been if they've tried contracting for say 6 months a year and having 6 months off .. I'm now in my 50s, mortgage paid off, pension (sipp) ok, and currently enough savings to last a year on the bench without having to sell any assets so financially I should be ok .. unless I did go without work for over a year! If I did work for 6 months that would last me another 6 months now so theoretically I would be able to be on the bench for 18 months from finishing a contract.

If anyone has done this how did they find their prospective clients responded to large gaps - I've only spoken to one person who did this and he said he had quite negative experiences/feedback when trying to get new contracts - practical or a pie in the sky pre-retirement idea (figure 3 years to go before I retire)?

thanks
      Slogger

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
        LM you are quite right. When my current contract ends I'm going to have to get someone to physically remove my laptop and other devices from me so that I can't check out prospective gigs. Probably have to pay someone to take my agency calls too! I'll have to be locked into a cell somewhere to deal with my withdrawal symptoms. But I'll come out feeling so much better.
        Oh yes, you will...

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          I took more than 2 years off. I found a new contract after spending 4 months searching.
          I don't wish to be rude but is this I Portugal or the UK?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I don't wish to be rude but is this I Portugal or the UK?
            The European Union. Oh, wait...

Comment

The European Union. Oh, wait...
              So pretty useless feedback on a UK site. Might be worth pointing out you aren't in the UK when giving advice like this?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                So pretty useless feedback on a UK site. Might be worth pointing out you aren't in the UK when giving advice like this?
                What advice?

Comment

What advice?
                  Some of your random statements actually count as advice.

Though people get what they pay for on this site.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Indeed but they should be able to assume what they are reading relates to the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Here we go again!!!
                      I'm not going to spend my Latin explaining all over again.
                      Keep your closed mentality only in the UK market.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X