• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract discussion and NDA (non-disclosure agreement)!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with the others in here, sound like a bunch of chancers. They'll get your expertise to win the contract then get some Indians to do the hard graft for pennies.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      No time spent on the proposal without being paid.

I don't sign NDAs up front either.

Piss takers.
      To offer an alternative perspective, NDAs are fine, routine even if you're working on something that's worth protecting. Also, the idea that you always get paid for work done is ludicrous if you're in business on your own account. Over the years, I've spent thousands on bids won and lost, many of those requiring NDAs.

That being said, I would be wary in the situation described by the OP. I would only ever do this with companies (or owners) that I know from previous work, not "cold callers" (unless they came with a reputation or recommendation).

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post

Worrying part is they are asking me to sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) before discussion of the proposal with me..!! They want me to spend some time for my proposal as well. NDA says I shouldn't discuss discussion to anyone.

I never got into this type of situation...Should I sign the NDA..?? Should I spend any time for these guys..?
        Nope for the first.

They should give you a generic clue on what the project/business is about first.

I've signed NDAs but only after I've had an idea of the business area and the firm has offered me a contract.

There is no point in signing an NDA if you don't have an idea on the business area as it could be the same product as what an existing company will bring to market.

I've met people involved in start ups, and while a minority have had good ideas the majority of them aren't niche and where the majority fail is on the fact the directors don't market the idea sufficiently.

Both means existing companies can expand into their market area, and if you subsequently decide to provide services for one of those companies in the worse case if the embittered broke directors find out the could come after you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There is an easy way to spot most of those assholes. When the agent tells you that it's a small startup, just two guys... but they offer a very high rate you know they are just interviewing contractors to learn for free. They will be asking practical questions, e.g. "so, in terms of scalability... which solutions would you recommend and why?" and if they invite you for an interview they will give you an NDA to sign for the privilege if being interviewed by them.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
            Agree with the others in here, sound like a bunch of chancers. They'll get your expertise to win the contract then get some Indians to do the hard graft for pennies.
            Absolutely this.

Tell them you'll be invoicing them separately for your time up front but will deduct this amount from your first "regular" invoice if they take you on afterwards.

If they seriously think their idea is going to work and aren't just trying to get some free work out of you, they should be fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
              NDA is fine.

Just make sure that if they get the deal you either get a cut or the work!
              That is the problem!!!
              there is no guarantee that they will get the work. In case if they got the job finally, no guarantee that I will get any role!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Well you could say no and go back to looking for a gig. Your choice.
                yes that is an option...sitting idle is not my fav time pass activity!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Yes done that, looks like NDAs are very common these days. I was trying to see how many people in CUK spent time on these type of work in the past and what are the chances of getting a gig at the end - If at all any one here managed that..??

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
                    **** them. There are quite a few of those idiots on the market and I always tell them to **** off. I am not going to have an ambulance chaser going after me because someone thinks I "stole" their secrets. The telling sign of trouble is that they are newbies and will think theirs is a unique idea. It probably isn't but they don't want to accept that fact and want to have an option to sue you. If you do, they will have the freedom to go after you if you work for a similar client or do a similar job in the future. And being a consultant in IT every contract will be similar, won't it?
                    NDA focused on the term that proposal discussions not to be disclosed, no restriction on working with anyone

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                      Will you be paid for your expertise in the preparation of this proposal?

How long will you have to wait around before knowing if you get any work out of this?

You are still looking around for other roles aren't you?

I might be spending maximum 5 hours on this...No need of any travels so far. No timelines revealed.

Yes I am very much in search mode and that is a Full time job!!

Comment

Working...
                      X