• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training/courses and CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training/courses and CV

Hi all,
    So I'm benched at the moment and it's painfully clear that there are a couple of holes in my skillset, namely WebAPI and recent Javascript framework experience (I did AngularJS 1.5 a couple of years back).
    I've done plenty of courses for both WebAPI, WebAPI security and Angular on Pluralsight so it wouldn't hurt to my CV under a training/courses section but would the client care since it's not practical commercial experience?
    Last edited by Zzap; 18 May 2017, 10:32.

Originally posted by Zzap View Post
    Hi all,
    So I'm benched at the moment and it's painfully clear that there are a couple of holes in my skillset, namely WebAPI and recent Javascript framework experience (I did AngularJS 1.5 a couple of years back).
    I've done plenty of courses for both WebAPI, WebAPI security and Angular on Pluralsight so it wouln't hurt to my CV under a training/courses section but would the client care since it's not practical commercial experience?

You can put your knowledge of it on your CV, you can answer questions about them in an interview.

It's better to have practical experience obviously, but you won't get that without spending time learning. Sounds like a good use of bench time to me.

Comment

It should also be painfully clear there couple of holes in your demonstrable experience in delivering these skills which is a bigger problem.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I always plan in a course if I can when I know there's bench time coming up. Keeps the old brain matter ticking over and, sometimes, it's helped me land the next gig.

I remember yonks ago I did an ITIL course and within two weeks landed a job where that was a requirement for an extra £75 a day more than I was on before.

Other quals may need evidence of practical experience alongside the shiny bit of paper. Depends on the industry and the skillset.

Comment

I agree ITIL/Prince2 type qualifications are a good thing to have.

Programming courses are largely a waste why not buy a book and teach yourself?

As for interviews, just lie and hope you're not found out. Most interviewers ask the same technical questions, so after a dozen interviews you can usually know 80% of what you're likely to be asked at the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
            I agree ITIL/Prince2 type qualifications are a good thing to have.

Programming courses are largely a waste why not buy a book and teach yourself?

As for interviews, just lie and hope you're not found out. Most interviewers ask the same technical questions, so after a dozen interviews you can usually know 80% of what you're likely to be asked at the next one.
            Agree with the ITIL/P2 approach and I have done this during bench time.
            But not sure about the 'just lie it' approach being a sensible way to proceed...

Comment

You can get away with a certain level of economy with the truth. You'll get spotted by any competent person the minute you veer too far off track.

Saying that, a PM friend of mine said a BA on her project had a brilliant CV and interviewed well (knew all the right things to say) but was rubbish at the job. However, clientco couldn't be bothered to bin her off and re-recruit, so it's a tactic that seems to work if you have minimal ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                You can get away with a certain level of economy with the truth. You'll get spotted by any competent person the minute you veer too far off track.

Saying that, a PM friend of mine said a BA on her project had a brilliant CV and interviewed well (knew all the right things to say) but was rubbish at the job. However, clientco couldn't be bothered to bin her off and re-recruit, so it's a tactic that seems to work if you have minimal ethics.
                I believe this is what is called 'business'.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  I believe this is what is called 'business'.
                  You sound like an agent...

Comment

Working...
                  X