• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is Manchester's contract market like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You mean it's like living in Heartbeat land.
    When I lived in Leeds the police inspector guy from Heartbeat lived near me.

Mr Derek from The Basil Brush Show...

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
      Are you fixed on Manchester? Both Bristol and Cambridge have a lot of tech work available if they are any good to you?
      I'm not fixed on Manchester no, I'm just not too sure either of those cities have the critical mass necessary.

Comment

Some mixed opinions here, but mostly stating it's not that great/very competitive.

I'm leaning towards ruling it out now to be honest, it's hard to resist the land of plenty down here in London.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That's why it's dead in Manchester. Flooded with cheap medicore labour
          And you still can't get a role
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            And you still can't get a role
            Ouch....

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Nope. It sucks. I've been working away for 2 odd years cause there is sod all going.
              Are you an iOS Developer?

Comment

Been in the North West for 7 years contracting and with about a total of 4 weeks bench time....

Not too bad but then again it depends on your skill set and how well you can market yourself to businesses both directly and via agency. If you are a bog standard BA or Dev it won't be as easy as if you have proven yourself in various industries and have some way of proving your capability.....

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewGuy View Post
                  I'm not fixed on Manchester no, I'm just not too sure either of those cities have the critical mass necessary.
                  Most contractors I know are quite happy about staying in Manchester and I know a couple who have moved from down south finding work without a problem. What's your skillset/experience?

Comment

I'm based in Manc, picked up my first role before my permie notice period ended (we'll see about the next one lol)

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
                      I'm based in Manc, picked up my first role before my permie notice period ended (we'll see about the next one lol)
                      First gig is always the easiest.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X