• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to find contracts with big companies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find contracts with big companies?

Hello,
    I'm a bit new to contracting... so I have some questions about job hunting. I'm an Java Developer and when looking for contracts on jobs board I don't see ads from regular big companies, because they seem only to post for perm roles. But I know that they do hire contractors, simply I don't know which channels they use. For the most, you have to apply to job offerings from recruitment agencies and lose a lot of time trying to make them confess what job we're talking about.

I mainly use JobServe and Linkedin... sometimes CWJobs too.

So how do you approach the problem:
    - do you apply for roles that are for perm and maybe some big company replies
    - do you waste your time with recruiters
    - you use some secret trick?

Thanks everyone

You don't bother finding out who the contract is with while you apply.

Big companies generally use preferred supplier agencies but often you can guess the company by the location.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The big companies tend to use agents so you have to read the profiles and location on Jobserve and try and guess who the companies are. For example, I think we can all guess a financial client in Cheshire or a Telecoms client in Berkshire and so on.

That said in this day and age I don't think you can be picky on the actual client. Apply whoever it is and when you've got an interview and an offer then you can decide.

Nope. Waste of time.
      Yes seems they hold most of the gigs. They are part and parcel of contracting in a majority of cases.
      Yes but it wouldn't be a secret if I told you

Just got to keep plugging on. The market is very quiet at the moment and it's not uncommon to spend some time on the bench between gigs. Trick is to get a warchest up so you can survive this time relatively comfortably. You've got the added problem of being a newbie so have your work cut out.

I only use JS and LinkedIn and to be honest never had a gig from LI to date though I see it works for others.

Knuckle down and keep at it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DarioDarioDario View Post

Nope because I'm not looking for perm work

It's not a waste of time especially if you end up on their "go to contractors" list

I've already given you a massive hint above and that's all you are going to get - though myself and others including NLUK have laid lots of clues in other threads to less blatant questions.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hello,
          I'm a bit new to contracting... so I have some questions about job hunting. I'm an Java Developer and when looking for contracts on jobs board I don't see ads from regular big companies, because they seem only to post for perm roles. But I know that they do hire contractors, simply I don't know which channels they use. For the most, you have to apply to job offerings from recruitment agencies and lose a lot of time trying to make them confess what job we're talking about.

I mainly use JobServe and Linkedin... sometimes CWJobs too.

Thanks everyone
          Purely out of interest, why are you focusing on big companies?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I worked for a big company as a permie. We hired a lot of contractors, and i mean a lot. We used an agency, this agency then contacted a set of preferred agencies to provide relevant CVs.

us > agency > agencies > contractor

Comment

The impression I've had over 30 years is that big companies use agencies. Agencies don't reveal the name of the client simply because a swarm of other agents will immediately attack.

Agents who deal with permie jobs almost always do not deal with contract. That'll be someone else in their agency, so they are not motivated to do anything about your CV. Unless of course you are from a known in-demand skill. You don't appear to fit that category.

Don't discard smaller companies. I did a £20m project for a building society with only about 600 employees. It came second in some industry awards thing. (The winner was RBS. That hurt.)
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                The big companies tend to use agents so you have to read the profiles and location on Jobserve and try and guess who the companies are. For example, I think we can all guess a financial client in Cheshire or a Telecoms client in Berkshire and so on.
                Out of curiosity, has anybody ever put together a comprehensive (ideally, UK-wide) list of such things?

i.e. Industry Sector / County = Actual Company

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  Out of curiosity, has anybody ever put together a comprehensive (ideally, UK-wide) list of such things?

i.e. Industry Sector / County = Actual Company
                  It would be impossible.

My first contract was with a division in a company that had 3 names in one year. This is because that division was taken over and sold 3 times in that year. OK that is an extreme case but the point is some divisions of larger companies have a different name and are also sold on their own.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I've already given you a massive hint above and that's all you are going to get - though myself and others including NLUK have laid lots of clues in other threads to less blatant questions.
                    You are very tolerant. Hats off to you.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X