• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning an offer down last minute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a subsititute for your contract that was on the table and do the other job yourself

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Most skills can be found, everyone like to think they are unique.
      Edit, I have a number of people contact me via my tech forum for example.

Also, it takes a lot of time and effort to launch a product, are you sure you know enough?
      My Mrs. is currently involved in a start up, so I have seen the effort involved.
      I'm not trying to big myself up by saying I'm unique. It just turns out that they couldn't find any other single candidate that came close to the required range of skills. I also don't know anybody from my 800 LinkedIn contacts I could use....

I am already working on another startup about 25 hours a week. I know exactly how much is involved. I've been working 5 months on it so far and we are making good progress (I have 2 subcontractors, business partner and funding).

One of the main draw backs for the gig is that I'd have to be onsite 5 days a week (40 mins each way commute). With the second opportunity I could be full-time at home splitting my time between both startups.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        I'm not trying to big myself up by saying I'm unique. It just turns out that they couldn't find any other single candidate that came close to the required range of skills. I also don't know anybody from my 800 LinkedIn contacts I could use....

I am already working on another startup about 25 hours a week. I know exactly how much is involved. I've been working 5 months on it so far and we are making good progress (I have 2 subcontractors, business partner and funding).

One of the main draw backs for the gig is that I'd have to be onsite 5 days a week (40 mins each way commute). With the second opportunity I could be full-time at home splitting my time between both startups.
        There it is then
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Probably things to consider:

1) how big is the organisation in gig1 - ie are you going to take a credibility hit across your entire network if you leave them in the lurch or are they a small player?

2) if gig2 goes bust in a couple of weeks and you've burned gig1 how much is in the war chest and how long does it normally take you to get a new gig.

Comment

I'd take the long safe gig but that's because I'm old and tulip. I believe you aren't that old....

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Errrm, lets at least wait until you are offered the other one first

Seriously.
              ha ha - exactly. The one thing I have learnt is no role is concrete until you have a contract to sign and that includes verbal offers.

Never speculate on rolls and always give yourself more than one option if possible

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I'd take the long safe gig but that's because I'm old and tulip. I believe you aren't that old....

I feel old! Neck pain a lot from working 14 hour days

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
                  Never speculate on rolls and always give yourself more than one option if possible
                  Bread rolls? Rolls of a dice? Rolls in the hay?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Difficult one.

The Mrs. start up could make us an absolute fortune or nothing, she contracts for a while and works on it as well.
                    Then she works on it out of contract.

All comes down to funding as well, if I wasn't constantly working, ina boring stable way, she may have not been able to commit time to it.

The other side of the coin is she hasn't yet got the product in any where, but it has led to other contracting roles, due to the CV been a bit different.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      You are on ignore but since you are the first poster I read your message. In case you didn't read it I said I had contract at hand. Usual checks means the stuff you have to go through when entering organisations that I've passed before every time.
                      Sounds like the place I was in 10 weeks ago. It took 6 weeks to get the gig sorted.

Don't do anything until you have both contracts signed.

Comment

Working...
                      X