• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning an offer down last minute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning an offer down last minute

Ok so I have had a really good day rate offer (Well over a year's worth of work by the looks of it) and I've verbally agreed to go ahead with the contract. Just usual required checks going through and contract in hand (passed ir35 review).

I was contacted by a friend and have the opportunity to make a pitch tomorrow which means I could get a heftier day rate and the possibility of a product I could sell on in the market if I can make a service agreement where I own the infrastructure and charge for the entire service....

The first option is low risk and with a reputable large firm. The second one is high risk in the longevity sense but if I get the product right (as I did in my current gig with projected revenue of millions over the next few years) then I could have a product that can scale and sell to multiple clients.

I've purposely not put this in General so serious posters only. NLUK you can get your "notice joke" in nice and early so we can discuss properly.

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Ok so I have had a really good day rate offer (Well over a year's worth of work by the looks of it) and I've verbally agreed to go ahead with the contract. Just usual required checks going through and contract in hand (passed ir35 review).

I was contacted by a friend and have the opportunity to make a pitch tomorrow which means I could get a heftier day rate and the possibility of a product I could sell on in the market if I can make a service agreement where I own the infrastructure and charge for the entire service....

The first option is low risk and with a reputable large firm. The second one is high risk in the longevity sense but if I get the product right (as I did in my current gig with projected revenue of millions over the next few years) then I could have a product that can scale and sell to multiple clients.

I've purposely not put this in General so serious posters only. NLUK you can get your "notice joke" in nice and early so we can discuss properly.
    Errrm, lets at least wait until you are offered the other one first

Seriously.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Which one is the dream gig?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Errrm, lets at least wait until you are offered the other one first

Seriously.
        You are on ignore but since you are the first poster I read your message. In case you didn't read it I said I had contract at hand. Usual checks means the stuff you have to go through when entering organisations that I've passed before every time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Which one is the dream gig?
          Man you must really love me. You seem to remember every quote!

Dream gig was actually a dream in the sense I learnt a skill that allows me to build complete platforms that can be sold to businesses. Also it was with a world famous sports club!

Also one is a gig, the other is more of a business opportunity.
          Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 16 May 2017, 15:34.

Comment

You are on ignore but since you are the first poster I read your message. In case you didn't read it I said I had contract at hand. Usual checks means the stuff you have to go through when entering organisations that I've passed before every time.
            No, I did read it, you have one in hand and one potential.

Once you have both actually on the table then you can make a decision.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

No, I did read it, you have one in hand and one potential.

Once you have both actually on the table then you can make a decision.
              Fair enough.

I'm just thinking ahead as it may affect how I pitch myself at the meeting and also of the consequences of turning down the other offer.

Comment

Fair enough.

I'm just thinking ahead as it may affect how I pitch myself at the meeting and also of the consequences of turning down the other offer.
                You pitch your self the best you can, surely?

It will be then a business decision what you actually do.

Is there anyone else you know that can work with the one you currently have offered...etc.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You pitch your self the best you can, surely?

It will be then a business decision what you actually do.

Is there anyone else you know that can work with the one you currently have offered...etc.
                  Unfortunately not. It's ultra niche UK wide let alone in the North West. The combination of technologies/skill-sets is a rare find. I was practically begged to come on board.

Comment

Unfortunately not. It's ultra niche UK wide let alone in the North West. The combination of technologies/skill-sets is a rare find. I was practically begged to come on board.
                    Most skills can be found, everyone like to think they are unique.
                    Edit, I have a number of people contact me via my tech forum for example.

Also, it takes a lot of time and effort to launch a product, are you sure you know enough?
                    My Mrs. is currently involved in a start up, so I have seen the effort involved.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X