• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dreaded credit check!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dreaded credit check!

So I've secured a new contract but it's subject to a credit check. I have no CCJs but I do have a default. When I applied for the job I didn't realise I would need a credit check and now I'm so worried. It's not a bank role but a public sector provider of financial info to businesses. Totally worried my offer will be withdrawn...I should find out the outcome in 48 hours. I'm not working in a technical capacity so won't be manipulating data. Do I stand a chance?

Never stop applying until your bum is firmly at client's seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      ^^^This
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        I can't be ar**ed with that these days. If offer in bag put feet up until start date .
        Credit check might be alright. Companies will often check us and our limited companies out anyway and as long as you're dealing with it, you might be okay. Not been through this myself but worked with someone who did. When preparing the extension paperwork the client found out he was if I remember correctly going through bankruptcy and after a few discussions seemed happy he providing evidence to show he was dealing with the situation, rather than sticking head in sand.

Comment

Were you asked about CCJs or defaults? Usually the biggest issue is if you try to cover up.

Bankrupties are a deal breaker for many clients. CCJs are touch and go. I reckon a default will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Were you asked about CCJs or defaults? Usually the biggest issue is if you try to cover up.

Bankrupties are a deal breaker for many clients. CCJs are touch and go. I reckon a default will be fine.
            I wasn't actually asked about anything- just told to fill in the form with my address details and DOB. The form was headed "electoral role and CCJs" so I'm wondering if that's all they are checking for. I'm on the electoral role and have no CCJs. In the meantime I have an interview on monday for another role so keeping options open.

Comment

Ok being the squeaky clean person I am, what is a "default"?
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                Ok being the squeaky clean person I am, what is a "default"?
                You owed some money under a credit agreement (including e.g. store cards with questionable terms, energy companies with absurdly inaccurate final bills and meter reading processes and who don't actually send red letters, credit card companies who encourage you to manage your account online but then don't remind you your dormant account has a teeny tiny positive or negative balance, you get the idea) and haven't made a payment against it for more than three months (or never realised it existed), despite all "efforts" to contact you and ask for this.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
                  So I've secured a new contract but it's subject to a credit check. I have no CCJs but I do have a default. When I applied for the job I didn't realise I would need a credit check and now I'm so worried. It's not a bank role but a public sector provider of financial info to businesses. Totally worried my offer will be withdrawn...I should find out the outcome in 48 hours. I'm not working in a technical capacity so won't be manipulating data. Do I stand a chance?
                  Yes - employment screening is through an agency - the agency can only see public data (CCJs, bankruptcy, fraud) and a default is not that. Defaults can only be shared under the principle of reciprocity, where lenders will share information to the same level i.e. Bank A will share all defaults and Bank B can see the default records of Bank A because it also shares defaults. Bank C doesn't share defaults so they cannot see defaults for Bank A and Bank B. A company doing employment screening has no access to this club and only sees what everyone else can see.

It may well be on your credit file and would affect lending decisions but a limited subject access request would not show it
                  Last edited by radish2008; 13 May 2017, 12:03. Reason: added more info

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                    Yes - employment screening is through an agency - the agency can only see public data (CCJs, bankruptcy, fraud) and a default is not that. Defaults can only be shared under the principle of reciprocity, where lenders will share information to the same level i.e. Bank A will share all defaults and Bank B can see the default records of Bank A because it also shares defaults. Bank C doesn't share defaults so they cannot see defaults for Bank A and Bank B. A company doing employment screening has no access to this club and only sees what everyone else can see.

It may well be on your credit file and would affect lending decisions but a limited subject access request would not show it

Ok well hopefully I will know the outcome on Monday so will let you all know.

Comment

Working...
                    X