• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment advice

Have contracted through the same company who I get on with for a couple of years. Unfortunately payments is outsourced to another company who are continually messing up. About 6 weeks ago I was informed they were going to pay every 28 days rather than weekly which ok I can accept.
    Tomorrow will be 35 days since my last payment and apparently I won't be paid again due to them messing up again. Apparently they did not process any of the paperwork until 28/4 which they say will be 28 days from then...?!?! I don't want to rock the boat with the company I am working with as not their fault (or indeed their clients who I am working for) but this is getting very frustrating. Any advice would be gratefully received Thank you

Yes.

Complain in writing to your client about their payment provider.

And tell them in no uncertain terms if such a delay happens again you will:
    1. Charge them interest for late payment, and,
    2. Stop working until you are paid.

Then do it.

I have done it in the past and ended up being sent a cheque to resume working. Plus sent money to cover interest.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Shister 1960 View Post
      About 6 weeks ago I was informed they were going to pay every 28 days rather than weekly which ok I can accept.
      Why would you want to do that? They have changed the terms of your contract, in return for what exactly?

Seems crazy to me.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

@Shister 1960 Would you have taken the role in the first place if the rate = £0 ? No, so don't accept it now. It's not a question of rocking the boat and it is the client's responsibility if their chosen payment service doesn't meet payment terms.

Goodness knows why you agreed to the change in the first place without something in return, but it's done now. I would be letting the client know that interest and late payment charges will be applied and that no more work would be done until paid in full.

Comment

Working...
        X