• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding it too quiet!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are lots of contracts around at the minute inside of IR35 for the public sector that have been unfilled for ages, literally months. I don't see this market being quiet at all. As I mentioned earlier in the thread if you are prepared to be flexible on day rate and location then you should never go without contract work if you have the standard full stack set of developer skills.

You should never be on the bench for more than a few weeks if you are prepared to be flexible

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
      There are lots of contracts around at the minute inside of IR35 for the public sector that have been unfilled for ages, literally months. I don't see this market being quiet at all. As I mentioned earlier in the thread if you are prepared to be flexible on day rate and location then you should never go without contract work if you have the standard full stack set of developer skills.

You should never be on the bench for more than a few weeks if you are prepared to be flexible
      I find in a buyers market they hire people near to them as they can pick and choose.

Oddly I have found rates holding up fairly well so no problem on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        I find in a buyers market they hire people near to them as they can pick and choose.

Oddly I have found rates holding up fairly well so no problem on that front.
        Maybe you are right ref people being near to them. I have been doing this for over 20 years now and the one bit of advice I would give any contractor is use contracting to explore new places and potentially new cultures. I get that this is very difficult for people with families but I would urge anyone to try at least one contract abroad or in a completely different part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          There is an element of that. Not that I am a developer but in days gone by you either had to pick up a skill through experience or put yourself through a course (the software no doubt being expensive to buy). Nowadays most is Open Source and you can learn it in the privacy of your own home.

That said, if the contracts aren't there then the contracts aren't there, no matter how skilled you are.
          I agree, whatever your skills maybe, if there are no contracts, you may just stay there and think how great your skills are...

I don't know, but I have the sense many of the people here in the UK have been living in some phantasy world since the Brexit. One lesson I learned early in my life is never f* with the business, you will never win, it will come back to you and it will crush your bloody skull. That's what's happening now...And I expect more to come...

Comment

How can you be flexible on location when there's no longer T&S inside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Evidence of the market being quiet.

London office vacancies surge
              The square mile in rush hour is nowhere near as busy as it used to be so not surprised by this as its also easy to see the many empty older buildings in that area. It seems there has been a notable contraction in the FS sector as Trade Floors once full to the brim are also emptying out. For every trader who is no longer required due to globalisation, automation & HFT you can add perhaps as many as 10-15 front & back office staff no longer required as well. Its like a snowball effect starts gradually then gets larger and larger as time goes on.

Comment

Maybe you are right ref people being near to them. I have been doing this for over 20 years now and the one bit of advice I would give any contractor is use contracting to explore new places and potentially new cultures. I get that this is very difficult for people with families but I would urge anyone to try at least one contract abroad or in a completely different part of the country.
                I have certainly travelled in the past but struggle to get put forward for anything not commutable at the moment. This is obviously nonsense as most of the time you will be nearer the office than most of the permanent people.

My theory is that some client's aren't seeing a difference between permanent staff and contractors anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
                  I agree, whatever your skills maybe, if there are no contracts, you may just stay there and think how great your skills are...

I don't know, but I have the sense many of the people here in the UK have been living in some phantasy world since the Brexit. One lesson I learned early in my life is never f* with the business, you will never win, it will come back to you and it will crush your bloody skull. That's what's happening now...And I expect more to come...
                  There are many factors at play. There are certainly several examples of people on here from a variety of disciplines who have gone from walking between contracts to going months between them.

I suppose we will never know what would happen if we voted to Remain and I am sure there are other factors but before the Referendum vote I was doing ok and now I am not. Certainly the City hasn't reacted well and that tends to govern the rest of the country.

Comment

There's being flexible and there's wasting your time with commuting, etc.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      There's being flexible and there's wasting your time with commuting, etc.

qh

Yes I agree, I am talking more in being prepared to work away from home through the week

Comment

Working...
                      X