• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma - flat rental vs hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma - flat rental vs hotel

I just cannot make my mind up about my accommodation whilst working away so I'd welcome your input please.

I live in the North of England but contract in London almost exclusively. Current contract appears to have some mileage in it and fingers crossed it has because I work from home 60% of the week. Accommodation-wise I usually share the cost of a flat with another professional and this has been fine until now. Because of the WFH, I only use that apartment 2 nights a week and 1 of those nights is avoidable by travelling down the following morning. So, £ 1k a month for 1 night a week is quite steep. It occurs to me I could be staying in a rather nice hotel for that, even in London. It would also mean that unlike the flat share, I could claim the VAT back on the hotel accommodation as like most on here, the recent changes to the FRS scheme mean I'll be leaving it.

However, I do have a few concerns - 1) what happens when current gig ends? I'd be unlikely to find anything again that gives me 60% WFH. I'd have to find another flat share as it would be far cheaper than 3 or 4 nights hotel. 2) I'm back to living out of a suitcase instead of having all my clothes, etc in an apartment. 3) I'm up 05:30 for that early morning train down and it's £ 100 more than the previous evening's journey. It's also packed, even in 1st class.

It's clear there are downsides and risk to letting the flat share go but it seems like a lot of money to spend for a couple of nights. But the thought of staying in decent hotels one night a week and clawing back £ 2k of the VAT I'm about to lose just won't leave my head.

I've worked away from home for nearly 3 years now and I've tried everything, AirBnB, hotels per night, deals with hotels for periods, flats, bunking in with client staff. You name it.

After all that buggering about I'm all for the flat option now. In one case it was cheaper as I was there 5 nights a week, in other it wasn't but after being away for so long it's all about comfort and ease now. I've gone past the point I'm bothered about penny pinching. I'd much rather have a set base where I can leave some stuff if need be and give me flexibility when I need it. This time I rented one in the city center to enjoy a bit of the life as well. Expensive in comparison but to me it's about making staying away just that little bit easier. Think about it long term, if you burn out earlier because of the stress of hotels you are going to lose money when you jack it in earlier. If you are comfortable and can keep going you are going to earn more if you get me.

Staying in hotels just doesn't do it for me. You get a bad one that's too hot or noisy neighbours and I've wasted my money. Carrying everything in a bag is a pain as well.

For a couple of hundred quid extra I'm in for a flat no problems. The only caveat here is I'm not London based which might change the situation with the logistics but you'll know which bits you do and which bits you don't like about it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How close are you to the 2 year expenses limit working in London ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I've worked away from home for nearly 3 years now and I've tried everything, AirBnB, hotels per night, deals with hotels for periods, flats, bunking in with client staff. You name it.

After all that buggering about I'm all for the flat option now. In one case it was cheaper as I was there 5 nights a week, in other it wasn't but after being away for so long it's all about comfort and ease now. I've gone past the point I'm bothered about penny pinching. I'd much rather have a set base where I can leave some stuff if need be and give me flexibility when I need it. This time I rented one in the city center to enjoy a bit of the life as well. Expensive in comparison but to me it's about making staying away just that little bit easier. Think about it long term, if you burn out earlier because of the stress of hotels you are going to lose money when you jack it in earlier. If you are comfortable and can keep going you are going to earn more if you get me.

Staying in hotels just doesn't do it for me. You get a bad one that's too hot or noisy neighbours and I've wasted my money. Carrying everything in a bag is a pain as well.

For a couple of hundred quid extra I'm in for a flat no problems. The only caveat here is I'm not London based which might change the situation with the logistics but you'll know which bits you do and which bits you don't like about it.
        I've being doing this since the start of 2007, initially in hotels for 6 months, 5 nights a week, then flats, flat shares and even a few weeks AirBnB. There's no way I could go back to hotels all week but 1 night? Think if it wasn't for the FRS changes and the thought of clawing back £ 2k a month it wouldn't be on my mind so much because everything works really. I've lived in that location of London mid-week for almost 6 years now anyhow so I know it well, especially my local boozers. Plus, the saving from the flat share would be offset by the increased travel costs and no, I wouldn't have the flexibility or the assurance that if current gig ends/goes wrong, something with a huge rate comes along, I can move on.

May have to up my rate a notch at renewal and then the thought of the lost VAT goes away.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
          How close are you to the 2 year expenses limit working in London ?
          Doesn't apply if you're only on site 40% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            Only a few months away now. I always swore I'd be retired by 50 but it's not looking likely. Still need the money, but my god am I losing the will. The thought of going through the motions for that next contract, being interviewed by people in their 30's (or less), fills me with dread, as does sitting down pair-programming with somebody young enough to be my son or daughter. Anybody else been through this?
            Maybe a guy who is feeling that way needs a change and the hotel is worth trying just to change things up.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              Maybe a guy who is feeling that way needs a change and the hotel is worth trying just to change things up.
              Maybe I'll take a look after the summer season. You can stay at the Radisson Blu or the InterContinental (both nr Canary Wharf) for around £ 150 a night from late August. Both have gym/sauna/spa and probably £ 8 for a pint.

Comment

Renting a flat is an expensive, but also a more convenient option, IMHO. I've had enough of living out of a suitcase.
                You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

+1 to renting. I've been doing the hotel thing for over 10 years but these days I deliberately look for longer contracts even if the rates a bit lower. The big thing for me is the food. When staying in hotels I slip into a bad diet with eating out etc

Renting -
                  Leaving stuff over weekends
                  Stay extra days without paying
                  More space and privacy
                  Kitchen and cooking. I can make my packed lunch

Hotels -
                  Exciting. Get to try new places
                  Someone makes your bed and clears the skid marks

Comment

If I were to work in the City I would stay in the Clarendon in Blackheath. Really is a fantastic hotel, facing on to the heath, and not too expensive. I could imagine staying there more than 1 night a week, in the Summer it's a 5 minute bus ride to Charlton Lido, and you can walk down to Greenwich and get the boat to work
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X