• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delay in renewal contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delay in renewal contract

Hi,

My current contract is due to end at the weekend, and despite my best efforts my agency is doing a terrible job at getting the renewal contract out (including some amendments) to me. I have agreed with the client to provide some services over the next few days which are quite critical to the project, so any disruption caused by the renewal contract not being sorted out in time would not be good.

My understanding is that I should have a contract in place before providing services to the client.

Can I or should I continue providing services beyond my current contract end date if I sign the renewal contract without the agency having countersigned it? There's a chance I may receive it today, but the agency may not countersign it in time.

Thanks

Originally posted by Eventar View Post
    Hi,

My current contract is due to end at the weekend, and despite my best efforts my agency is doing a terrible job at getting the renewal contract out (including some amendments) to me. I have agreed with the client to provide some services over the next few days which are quite critical to the project, so any disruption caused by the renewal contract not being sorted out in time would not be good.

My understanding is that I should have a contract in place before providing services to the client.

Can I or should I continue providing services beyond my current contract end date if I sign the renewal contract without the agency having countersigned it? There's a chance I may receive it today, but the agency may not countersign it in time.

Thanks
    Chillax mate, has the agency mucked you about before? I've had a slight delay to contract renew. Take an extra long Bank Holiday and see where you get to.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Eventar View Post
      Hi,

Thanks
      So you say amendments? Are these amendments that you wanted?

Fav trick by agencies. Ignore any conversations they don't really want to have hoping you'll just carry on and start the extension and the issue will disappear.

Best bet is to advise the client that you can't work because agency is messing around. Definitely do not work. Just beware because agency may well lie and tell client its all your fault.

I had this every time with one client. But it was they're fault not the agency. I used to pack stuff into car on the friday. Then they rushed around sorting it. If I hadn't done it they would have taken the p and left it weeks with no contract in place.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Chillax mate, has the agency mucked you about before? I've had a slight delay to contract renew. Take an extra long Bank Holiday and see where you get to.
        If client has sorted it there should be zero delay from agents end. Agencies can get things sorted quickly when it suits them.

Just think how quick they're on the phone trying to get an answer when a client offers a gig.

Comment

It's up to you whether you work without a contract or not - personally I wouldn't because there is too much risk involved.

The easiest one to spot is what happens if the contract never arrives - will you get paid or have you just worked for free? In your case it may be less likely than in other circumstances, but it's still a risk.

If I was a client and you were working on my site without a contract then I would be checking my insurance carefully in case the building falls down or whatever - were you meant to be there at the time?

And from a personal perspective I'd be considering what might happen if you mess up the stuff that you are doing when you aren't under contract? Is there a risk that your insurance might not be valid?

I'd explain to the client politely that you would love to work but you can't because the agent is being silly and won't issue the contract for the work to be done.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would check with your PI / PL / IR35 Insurers whether you are covered in the event of working without an agreed contract?

Normally, the Agency that you deal with would send you a covering email, where they stipulate that your contract has been extended, and that the formal written extension (to the same terms) will follow. This can be a new contract, a new schedule, or just a letter confirming this.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              It's up to you whether you work without a contract or not - personally I wouldn't because there is too much risk involved.

The easiest one to spot is what happens if the contract never arrives - will you get paid or have you just worked for free? In your case it may be less likely than in other circumstances, but it's still a risk.

If I was a client and you were working on my site without a contract then I would be checking my insurance carefully in case the building falls down or whatever - were you meant to be there at the time?

And from a personal perspective I'd be considering what might happen if you mess up the stuff that you are doing when you aren't under contract? Is there a risk that your insurance might not be valid?

I'd explain to the client politely that you would love to work but you can't because the agent is being silly and won't issue the contract for the work to be done.
              Give inch take a mile.....

Do it once and client may do it all the time.

I know personally of one guy where this didnt work out. Worked for two weeks because client says honest the budget is sorted it'll be done in a day or two. It got knocked back by someone higher up and the gig ended. The two weeks - sorry about that we just havent got the money after all. We'll try to get it sorted and let you know. They never did. Two weeks worked "pro bono" = not cool. The poor bugger even worked away from home so it cost money in hotels....

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                I would check with your PI / PL / IR35 Insurers whether you are covered in the event of working without an agreed contract?

Normally, the Agency that you deal with would send you a covering email, where they stipulate that your contract has been extended, and that the formal written extension (to the same terms) will follow. This can be a new contract, a new schedule, or just a letter confirming this.
                Ditto. I would not work without commercial cover or insurance cover. I would say this is only being professional. Your attitude to risk might differ.

Comment

Make it clear to the agent you won't be on site. Funny how quick they can turn stuff around with that on the table.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I thought if you carried on working after contract expiry on a verbal promise then the existing contract terms apply?

Obviously an issue for OP as they want amendments.

Comment

Working...
                    X