• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't get mortgage after contract break

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get mortgage after contract break

I took a 5 month break out to do some volunteering. Because of this, according to Contractor Mortgages, no lenders will lend to me. One will lend after a 6 month unbroken gig, the rest after 10. I'm 1 month into a 6-monther.

Has the same happened any of you?

Nope but I've heard of the different criteria from different lenders so doesn't surprise me. At least 6 months left for one lender, no breaks for others. It's not straight forward even now.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh dear. This is not what I want to hear today after submitting forms to a mortgage broker for a mortgage. I pretty much had the same amount of time out of contract (in contract now), but I did do 6 days on a client site after 3 months...but it wasn't working out. Followed by a further 2 months on the bench.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have much of a deposit?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
        Oh dear. This is not what I want to hear today after submitting forms to a mortgage broker for a mortgage. I pretty much had the same amount of time out of contract (in contract now), but I did do 6 days on a client site after 3 months...but it wasn't working out. Followed by a further 2 months on the bench.

If you are a LTD company contractor, do you have 3 more years of accounts? e.g. a full set 2012 to 2015 or 2013 to 2016. If so, speak to Ashley of Power Mortgages for a second opinion.

Comment

You don't even need a complete year of accounts just a current contract, have a chat with Freelancer Financials - they charge a fee but worth it for a hassle free service IMO
          "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
            I took a 5 month break out to do some volunteering. Because of this, according to Contractor Mortgages, no lenders will lend to me. One will lend after a 6 month unbroken gig, the rest after 10. I'm 1 month into a 6-monther.

Has the same happened any of you?
            We've seen many cases like this and there are mortgage lenders that will lend to you. The gap certainly limits your options but it doesn’t eliminate them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
              You don't even need a complete year of accounts just a current contract, have a chat with Freelancer Financials - they charge a fee but worth it for a hassle free service IMO
              I echo this. Duncan was great for me.

Comment

A member of this site suggested lying on your application. This is mortgage fraud and a criminal offence. I've deleted the posts mentioning it. https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk..._guideline.pdf

Opportunistic mortgage fraud (e.g. by lying, falsifying documents) - 6 months to 4 years jail time.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post

15%

Comment

I do wonder sometimes why the government hasn't clamp down on fixed rate mortages as many could be caught out with this and lumbered with a high APR mortgage once the term ends (unable to move to a better deal). The purpose of fixed rate mortgages I thought was meant to be to help home owners starting out after buying a home so they can buy furniture etc. TOday people jump from fixed rate to fixed rate mortgage to escape the stupdily high APR after the fixed term is over.

Whether a new buyer or remortaging, best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X