• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving projects within same consultancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving projects within same consultancy

Hi,

Looking for advice on a potentially tricky situation. I'm working in a bank with a consultancy with a month left on my contract but I'm not enjoying it and I'm unsure I'll be extended.

My old work colleague who is a contractor with the same consultancy said there is a role for me with him in a different Bank which I would like to take.

I could roll off the current role not saying anything about the new role but when I go for it I suspect the business development guy will pick up that I was the one who just left the original project which potentially they may not be happy with. Don't want to be left with no role as I'm currently building a house and need the money but really not enjoying my current position either.

Any tips on how you would play this?

Thanks

Get the new role first before worrying about screwing over people.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you are talking about leaving at the end of your contract rather than before its end, what's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by siouxchief View Post
        Don't want to be left with no role as I'm currently building a house and need the money but really not enjoying my current position either.
        Are you sure you're cut out to be a Contractor?
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by siouxchief View Post
          Don't want to be left with no role as I'm currently building a house and need the money but really not enjoying my current position either.
          Does your contract say anything about you enjoying it?
          If not, suck it up.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Do you not like the role because of the client or the consultancy ? Would the alternative role by that different ? You need to weigh this up.

If it is the same consultancy I am not sure they would be happy for you to roll off your current engagement early, which they would find out about. Finish in one month and see what your options elsewhere during this time if it is really that bad a role currently.

Comment

It sound to me as if you're a disguised employee of the consultancy. Associates are used just for one project and they will go back to their own network once the project ends.

That's not you - you're acting like a permie; essentially the consultancy account managers are finding work for you.

You might not see it that way, but that's what's happening.

If you're happy with that risk, carry on as you are but be aware of the situation.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                It sound to me as if you're a disguised employee of the consultancy. Associates are used just for one project and they will go back to their own network once the project ends.

That's not you - you're acting like a permie; essentially the consultancy account managers are finding work for you.

You might not see it that way, but that's what's happening.

If you're happy with that risk, carry on as you are but be aware of the situation.
                As long as a new assignment schedule is issued for every new project/assignment this should not be an issue. See it as repeat business.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  As long as a new assignment schedule is issued for every new project/assignment this should not be an issue. See it as repeat business.
                  It's always easier to find work at the client you are with than a new client. It is good business. As long as it is a clear 'sale' rather than having work assigned to you then you're good. Bit of a grey area unless you are clear about how you word it, how you accept it and how you get the contract schedule updated.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Exactly. You shouldn't turn down the business because of a perceived tax risk. But where I do agree with cojak, you should be aware of the risk of investigation and make sure you're extra careful about arrangements.

Comment

Working...
                    X