• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance work whilst contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    I do this, under a similar situation, work away from home Mon-Thurs so have several hours each evening to dedicate to freelance work. I also juggle "Plan B" in this time.

If you can gauge requirements and juggle workloads it's great. Always charge hourly rate vs. project based pricing.

I can't stress being able to gauge workload enough. I've fallen foul in the past, taking too much on and embarrassing myself.
    Yes its an hourly rate gig, I always find it difficult to say no to people, I hate turning down work off decent companies and decent people who I have a good rapport with through the interview process.

I am going to agree to 8 hours a week and try and bolt two hours on when I get home and back to the hotel each evening Monday-Thursday and see how it goes.

I worked long hours for years as a permie with little or no reward so I may as well do it now and earn some decent income for it.

Will see how it goes, keen not to burn myself out as like all of us I don't take lots of holidays

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
      Yes its an hourly rate gig, I always find it difficult to say no to people, I hate turning down work off decent companies and decent people who I have a good rapport with through the interview process.

I am going to agree to 8 hours a week and try and bolt two hours on when I get home and back to the hotel each evening Monday-Thursday and see how it goes.

I worked long hours for years as a permie with little or no reward so I may as well do it now and earn some decent income for it.

Will see how it goes, keen not to burn myself out as like all of us I don't take lots of holidays
      That's basically he source of my issues; just got to learn to say no!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        We had a post from a guy recently that did. Bloody idiot did it in client time and got himself sacked but he couldn't understand why.
        Yes, he was an idiot. Not for doing it, mind you. For getting caught, which lead to his "sacking".

Of course, if you have a bit more brains about you, you could do this and not get caught, leading to a delicious "double-dipping" of income.

Yowzers!

(Not that I'm advocating this type of thing of course).

Comment

Working...
        X