• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a Contract Early, Anything I need to be Aware Of?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a Contract Early, Anything I need to be Aware Of?

My current contract is a bit tulip, anything I need to be aware of before I get another and leave? I was encouraged to opt out so I did, this is my first contract.

Basically, there is not enough work for myself and another contractor so we're both scratching around for stuff to do. Also, no international travel has materialised as was promised.

My notice period is two weeks according to agency contract.

You are bailing in your first contract because you have nothing to do?? How long have you been there?

I get that being bored in contracts can be soul destroying but I don't think it's the best reason to be leaving a gig what with the PS just shedding a ton of contractors and the market not being the best.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP - How long have you been there as NLUK says?

It never ceases to amaze me how a lot of clients don't seem in any rush when a contractor turns up. Number of times with no desk, PC, login sorted etc. Then, of course, no-one wants to spend time with the newbie going over things. Its annoying and does your head in but thats the way it is.

As NLUK says, do you REALLY want to bail first gig?

International travel - surely you didn't take the gig because of this? Surely no-one is going to can a gig because client has had a bit of rethink on that? Yeh ok if thats your bag then nice if you get it. Same with SC. Last client said we'll get you SC cleared, then they changed their mind. Pity but I wasn't going to can gig over it.

p.s. Opted out - so?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Thanks for responding, I am after feedback like this.

I'm 7 months into an 18 month contract.

I don't work in this industry just for the money, I genuinely love creating smart and efficient solutions to problems. I was hired to introduce automation into a highly manual process (they literally build domains with 500 page 'next next finish documents') and reduce the volume of documentation. And also oversee these installations overseas.

So from Oct to Xmas I basically updated some fking word documents. No money or mandate to introduce and changes, "but it's all ok cos they might send you abroad..."

Neither of those things have changed, no travel and still barely made an impact on the main task. On top of this they are doing me to do some admin tasks unpaid which adds insult to injury.

Flipside is I have an hour's commute, no overheads so the average pay is not too bad.

I think the crux is the lack of job satisfaction has seriously affected me, day in day out miserable day job ive struggled with.

The lost I've applied for is in London for much better money and a Fin org, I want Fin org experience as many of those roles require previous exp. so if I get it I am thinking it's a good stepping stone.

I am jumping too soon?
        Should I be happier with what I have?
        Is getting a foot in the door of bank IT worth the move?

Appreciate hearing peoples views, I am still a contractor newbie really....

Comment

Jump it. 7 months is fine as long as you have other gig on hand. if that was only 2 months in it would look bad on your CV.

Just make sure you leave on good terms with both the client and agency. Transition your stuff to other contractor , give them fair notice (not necessarily 2 weeks!) etc

Comment

Wow - 18 months. Leaving after 7 months isn't something you should be too worried about, and another year doing something you hate isn't going to do you much good.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Unfortunately, welcome to the world of contracting. Companies sometimes hire contractors to do the tulip they can't get the permies to do. If you're spinning your wheels, why not spend some time upskilling in something else?

I can related to the being bored thing, but it could be the other way around and you're bored AND not being paid....
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by MikhailCompo View Post
                I'm 7 months into an 18 month contract.
                Ah that's not so bad then. There is an argument that shorter gigs look bad but that's pretty much rubbish. 7 months is long enough to not be a problem.

I don't work in this industry just for the money, I genuinely love creating smart and efficient solutions to problems. I was hired to introduce automation into a highly manual process (they literally build domains with 500 page 'next next finish documents') and reduce the volume of documentation. And also oversee these installations overseas.
                That's a lovely perspective but you are working in difficult times so sometimes the bottom line is what counts above all. You will also be taking many gigs over your contracting career so sometimes you are just going to have to shovel some crap for a short period. You get good gigs, you get bad ones. It's the way it is. I think we all want to do the best we can but we do it for money ultimately.

So from Oct to Xmas I basically updated some fking word documents. No money or mandate to introduce and changes, "but it's all ok cos they might send you abroad..."

Neither of those things have changed, no travel and still barely made an impact on the main task. On top of this they are doing me to do some admin tasks unpaid which adds insult to injury.
                It happens, a 'dream' gig suddenly turning in to a steaming pile of poo isn't uncommon. Great thing about contracting is we have the flexibility to change as you are looking to do. One point though, you have to be very careful doing other tasks you weren't contracted to do. In fact, you shouldn't be doing it at all. By doing anything they ask you are under D&C of the client which is one of the 3 main IR35 pillars so you are making a problem for yourself.

I think the crux is the lack of job satisfaction has seriously affected me, day in day out miserable day job ive struggled with.
                Well that is a pretty good reason to go as long as you understood the risks of the next gig not being any better, it folding before you start etc. That's a personal choice. The great thing about contracting is the flexibility to be able to drop crap gigs like this so you do right to consider using that flexibility.

The lost I've applied for is in London for much better money and a Fin org, I want Fin org experience as many of those roles require previous exp. so if I get it I am thinking it's a good stepping stone.
                Fair comment. Thing is you don't have a decision to make until you have an offer on the table so no harm in trying.

I am jumping too soon?
                I think 7 months isn't a problem if you've weighed up the risks and have decided you need to go.
                Should I be happier with what I have?
                Who knows. There are plenty on here that would be quite happy just invoicing but I know from experience there is nothing worse that a crap gig. You'll look back in future years and be glad you left when you did.
                Is getting a foot in the door of bank IT worth the move?
                Not sure about that. They can shed contractors at the drop of a hat, rate cuts mid contract are common place and it can be difficult work in not very nice conditions at times.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agree with everyone else. If you've been there a while then do whats best for you.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X