+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    20
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default How to Respond when asked for Current / Previous Rate

    I've generally read that it's best to avoid giving prior or current rate to an agency when they ask about it, especially when aiming to get an increase, as it will simply increase their leverage. However, I'm quite new to contracting and would be interested in how people actually deal with the question (presumably more nuanced than just "No I won't tell you"!).

    Is there a different approach for agencies vs end clients in an interview? Should the client industry be taken into consideration? For example in public sector the rough salary of most people is generally quite transparent, so could they take the wrong way to just be told 'no'?

    I'd also would be interested in seeing if there are any people who do routinely reveal their current rate, or situations in which you would advise it.

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32,407
    Thanks (Given)
    131
    Thanks (Received)
    1227
    Likes (Given)
    1640
    Likes (Received)
    5591

    Default

    Plenty of threads around this which should help you with your question.

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Double Godlike!

    Alias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Right here...
    Posts
    10,878
    Thanks (Given)
    9734
    Thanks (Received)
    638
    Likes (Given)
    9734
    Likes (Received)
    987

    Default

    Tell them the rate you want...This is a business to business relationship with commercial sensitivity involved, would they respond if the question was reversed?

    Tell them what you want and then negotiate from there...

    or...WNLUKS ^^^
    Join IPSE

  4. #4

    More time posting than coding

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    372
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    45
    Likes (Given)
    462
    Likes (Received)
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    I've generally read that it's best to avoid giving prior or current rate to an agency when they ask about it, especially when aiming to get an increase, as it will simply increase their leverage. However, I'm quite new to contracting and would be interested in how people actually deal with the question (presumably more nuanced than just "No I won't tell you"!).

    Is there a different approach for agencies vs end clients in an interview? Should the client industry be taken into consideration? For example in public sector the rough salary of most people is generally quite transparent, so could they take the wrong way to just be told 'no'?

    I'd also would be interested in seeing if there are any people who do routinely reveal their current rate, or situations in which you would advise it.
    I always say ... "my normal rate is xxx. For this role, given what you have told me about the role and location, I could go as low as yyy"

    Set xxx higher than you want, and give the agent the yyy that you are hoping for. Anything above yyy is a bonus for you.

    Saying that, not many agents ask me what rate I'm on today. They tell me the rate of the role and if I'm interested I'll let them put me forward. I find only Bob agents are hung up on the rate I'm on today, and I don't want to work through them anyway.
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    240
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Given)
    68
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    When I'm asked I tell them the rate I want to get. This may or may not be equal to my last achieved rate (but that's for me to know). Like the previous poster says, I may adjust the number based on sector (highest for fin/ins/law firms), location etc, but mostly based on how quickly I want to get into my next contract.

  6. #6

    Godlike

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    5,298
    Thanks (Given)
    667
    Thanks (Received)
    363
    Likes (Given)
    292
    Likes (Received)
    1568

    Default

    I have an NDA with the client that prevents me from sharing the rate. The rate I am quoting for this contract is x,xxx pd.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  7. #7

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    20
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Thanks for the tips


    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Plenty of threads around this which should help you with your question.

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    I had tried forum search without much luck, but the Google Search results indeed seem much more relevant - I'll have to remember that for the future!

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,359
    Thanks (Given)
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    741
    Likes (Given)
    4919
    Likes (Received)
    2853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I have an NDA with the client that prevents me from sharing the rate. The rate I am quoting for this contract is x,xxx pd.

    Surely you have a protected and unprotected rate

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32,407
    Thanks (Given)
    131
    Thanks (Received)
    1227
    Likes (Given)
    1640
    Likes (Received)
    5591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    I had tried forum search without much luck, but the Google Search results indeed seem much more relevant - I'll have to remember that for the future!
    Yep the standard search method is rubbish.

    Full instructions how to use the google search is a sticky in the Welcome/FAQ section..

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  10. #10

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,707
    Thanks (Given)
    362
    Thanks (Received)
    1215
    Likes (Given)
    3508
    Likes (Received)
    3024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    I've generally read that it's best to avoid giving prior or current rate to an agency when they ask about it, especially when aiming to get an increase, as it will simply increase their leverage. However, I'm quite new to contracting and would be interested in how people actually deal with the question (presumably more nuanced than just "No I won't tell you"!).

    Is there a different approach for agencies vs end clients in an interview? Should the client industry be taken into consideration? For example in public sector the rough salary of most people is generally quite transparent, so could they take the wrong way to just be told 'no'?

    I'd also would be interested in seeing if there are any people who do routinely reveal their current rate, or situations in which you would advise it.
    What I charge one client is irrelevant to what I might charge another one - I've charged more for one client because I didn't like the project, and I've charged less for others because they were interesting and I thought I'd enjoy them.

    "What's your current rate?" has easy answers - "I'm under an NDA", "it's none of your business", "market rate", "competitive", or laugh and say "you know better than to ask something like that". Agents will tend to go slightly more nuanced than that though - "what kind of rate are you looking for?", for example. So you counter this by being vague with the response, whilst putting them in a position to give you information - "as high as I can get. What's the client budget likely to be?" might work depending on the agent.

    My preferred would be always to get the agent to suggest a range and then I'll decide what I'm happy with. I also like to leave it slightly open until I've spoken with the client - what the agent pitches as 400 a day may in reality turn out to be a 600 a day project once you understand what the client is expecting.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.