• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to Respond when asked for Current / Previous Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent View Post
    Thank you

So you ask the agent what the going rate is for your field of play but then quote a huge range of £350 to £800 yourself and then say the agent generally don't know the going rate...

On the occassion you mentioned (the extra £100 per day), the client isn't paying you anything, the agency is. To say that the client is paying an extra £100 a day and that you'd miss out quoting a lower rate is something a chancer would say...
    And thank you too.
    I don't 'quote' that range. It's the range that's been paid for what I do. There's a difference. Also being a 'chancer' has been quite lucrative for me, so I'll take that as a compliment, thanks ever so much and cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
      And thank you too.
      I don't 'quote' that range. It's the range that's been paid for what I do. There's a difference. Also being a 'chancer' has been quite lucrative for me, so I'll take that as a compliment, thanks ever so much and cheers.
      Pretty sure you said 'and then I tell them about the range that I had been interviewed for/approached/accepted, which is anything between £350-£800'

Nothing wrong with being a chancer, I've built a career on it.

Comment

Overall, I don't see the issue with asking for previous rates. The only contractors that have objected in the past tend to be the assholes that waste my time and chancers that think by not saying their previous rate that they're suddently worth an extra £300 a day...
        Oh, Thanks! I can take from your post that I'm an asshole.

The contractors from the past have more experience to catch "smart guys".

Comment

Pretty sure you said 'and then I tell them about the range that I had been interviewed for/approached/accepted, which is anything between £350-£800'

Nothing wrong with being a chancer, I've built a so-called career on it.
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            FTFY
            Ouuuuch!

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              Oh, Thanks! I can take from your post that I'm an asshole.

The contractors from the past have more experience to catch "smart guys".
              Possibly but I don't know you so hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                FTFY
                good one!

Comment

I send them a picture.

Comment

Working...
                  X