• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing non IT work inbetween IT contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    We've got a local taxi firm that uses decent black Passats that are always very smart and the drivers are all local guys and well turned out. Bit like a Stobart of taxi firms. Everyone that works for them says they enjoy it and they are always on the look out for a drivers. Every time the bench looms I always consider having a pop at that just to say I've done it for a giggle. My other half won't let me though as she'd be mortified if I had to pick any of her friends up. They will probably go bust soon anyway.

I'd also to go back to doing a bit of metalwork on the lathes and the like as well for a bit of fun but it's been a very long time since I did that so I'd be more a hindrance than a help.
    My plan was to pay off the mortgage and then stick 2 fingers up at the Government and HMRC for killing contracting by stacking shelves in Tescos while claiming every benefit I could lay me hands on

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      My plan was to pay off the mortgage and then stick 2 fingers up at the Government and HMRC for killing contracting by stacking shelves in Tescos while claiming every benefit I could lay me hands on
      I'd be willing to bet you aren't the only one!

Funnily enough my other half has burnt out from teaching and wants to leave. One of her colleagues works at ASDA now and is happy as a pig in't muck. We sat down for a long discussion about this not so long ago.

SWMBO - I can't carry on. Can I quit teach and go working a in a supermarket?
      ME - Can you f**k.
      SWMBO - <some other stuff about me being a taxi driver or something that I didn't listen to>

Sorted.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've often thought about doing voluntary work between contracts, just never got so far as deciding what type I'd like to try that doesn't require some basic skill/aptitude to make it easy to get into.

At least then there's no messing about getting P45s/46s to sort out multiple income when still being paid via Ltd while on the bench or worrying about higher tax thresholds over the year.

For now I'm enjoying plan b, doing b****rall.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          I've often thought about doing voluntary work between contracts, just never got so far as deciding what type I'd like to try that doesn't require some basic skill/aptitude to make it easy to get into.

At least then there's no messing about getting P45s/46s to sort out multiple income when still being paid via Ltd while on the bench or worrying about higher tax thresholds over the year.

For now I'm enjoying plan b, doing b****rall.
          Try volunteering as a driver for the Ambulance service. They pay you 45p per mile for using the car so if you have a contractor banger you can make a bit more money out of it as well as doing a good deed for sick kids etc.

Comment

CBA to read the whole thread but the idea is a goer, keeps you from getting bored, only thing I would watch for is the more you earn the less dividends etc you can take without having to pay top rate tax on it, something to consider at least
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet you aren't the only one!

Funnily enough my other half has burnt out from teaching and wants to leave. One of her colleagues works at ASDA now and is happy as a pig in't muck. We sat down for a long discussion about this not so long ago.

SWMBO - I can't carry on. Can I quit teach and go working a in a supermarket?
              ME - Can you f**k.
              SWMBO - <some other stuff about me being a taxi driver or something that I didn't listen to>

Sorted.
              Back in the days of being a permie I took a second job with Sainbury's to make a bit of extra cash for Christmas, was fantastic met MrsMac while working there and was easily the best job I have had, sociable and zero pressure, only down side was working with 16 year old gloyts with less ambition and drive than body hair

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Some of my best jobs were temp roles, most were leave your brain at the door roles but they were no stress, good banter, leave the end of the day forget, money in the bank.

The more I think of it the more I find it appealing to try and mix things a bit more. I do think though would agencies take me seriously as even the temp world they want seasoned temps who they can rely on bit like entering the contract world, your not taken seriously and can be hard to get work until a few gigs under your belt. You hear nowadays to stack shelves they want 5 years experience.

Right off to dumb down my CV.

Comment

Hang around the local Polski Sklep and whilst trying to work out what the food is in the tins by the pictures ask the 'locals' where they get the cash in hand temp jobs.

Should be loads of vacancies with all the hoo-ha about brexit 'scaring them all back home'. Might find some interesting stuff to eat/drink in there too, and probably some eye candy as well.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    16 year old gloyts with less ambition and drive than body hair

I've got remember that one!

Comment

I've got remember that one!
                      I'll add it to the SimonMacCommentGenerator

Comment

Working...
                      X