• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump H-1B visa changes- will they now flood the UK contract market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Yes, end clients in the UK are now more and more looking for onsite contractors at offshore rates.

I'm working all abroad (in the EU) nowadays. Not through UK agencies, because they try to undercut foreign local agencies while charging higher UK margins, leaving very little to UK contractors.
    UK is also starting to look at Umbrella inside IR35 as well so rates are going to go even lower as many financial services companies are trying to safeguard any HMRC issues by forcing temp staff onto Umbrellas within IR35 rather than employ full time as it pushes the employee tax & NI contributions away & saves them a fortune on those as well as holiday & sickness pay & the dreaded company pension! There is either going to be an even bigger shortage of contractors willing to work for ever decreasing rates & or something will have to give. Either end clients reconsider or face spending more money to fix the mess they will create by having these unfriendly to experienced contractors payment requirement's
    Last edited by uk contractor; 26 April 2017, 00:36.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
      Other European countries are not nearly as keen on offshoring as the UK is. They value having people on-site. People who can readily communicate, understand and share the same values. For that reason, companies elsewhere in Europe tend to always have at a minimum a core team of EU staff who runs the show, and only then allow parts of the work to be performed elsewhere.

E.g., they understand the value of collaboration and the actual cost that comes with offshoring to a location with far lower rates (on paper).

Carnage in Indian IT? As Wipro fires 500, here is what other cos are doing | Business Standard News
      I think it's more practical than that. English is the main language used so that will put off europeans to some degree. And having worked in France for a while I found that whilst english was used everywhere the accents were a real problem. I basically spent months translating between Chinese and French accents of English.
      Th British can handle Indian accented English. No other country can.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I showed the French some Rab C Nesbit episodes to demonstrate the variety of accents. Also Auf wiesersehen pet. They didn't understand much of it.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          I showed the French some Rab C Nesbit episodes to demonstrate the variety of accents. Also Auf wiesersehen pet. They didn't understand much of it.
          Yeah, that's more like a joke right? If they want to reduce the immigration in their Brexit phantasy world, it will be fair to also reduce very substantially the quotas for the Indians...

Comment

Understanding why a visa can be so coveted and reviled - CNN.com
            Very interesting and in-depth article on the ravages of H-1B and how it affects both the worker being replaced & the one being brought in from somewhere else. Mentions a lot of things relevant to what is now happening in the UK Tier 2 Visa program (the import worker eventually passes the role over to someone in their own country completing the offshoring cycle). The usual offshoring suspects are mentioned it states they save on average $45K per worker once they are brought onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Understanding why a visa can be so coveted and reviled - CNN.com
              Very interesting and in-depth article on the ravages of H-1B and how it affects both the worker being replaced & the one being brought in from somewhere else. Mentions a lot of things relevant to what is now happening in the UK Tier 2 Visa program (the import worker eventually passes the role over to someone in their own country completing the offshoring cycle). The usual offshoring suspects are mentioned it states they save on average $45K per worker once they are brought onboard.
              Whether H-1B or Tier 2 happens or not, offshoring is still going to happen.

Comment

Trump administration to allow for 15,000 more foreign workers - POLITICO
                here is another good quote just for a laugh I will post it below and wonder what UK politician would dare try to do this to save UK IT jobs!
                "To qualify for the H-2B visas, hiring companies must attest under the penalty of perjury that they are “likely to suffer irreparable harm” without the influx of workers"

Comment

Working...
                X