• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump H-1B visa changes- will they now flood the UK contract market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump H-1B visa changes- will they now flood the UK contract market?

I was wondering what would be the impact of the proposed Trump changes on the UK contract market. Will Infosys, Tata and the likes flood the UK market with Indian out-source workers?

To say the least, we have more than enough of them already in the UK...

The executive order is to ask the government departments to apply the rules that already exist in the "right" way.

Although he spoke of scrapping the H-1B visa when campaigning, he hasn't announced anything like that so far.

Plus, of course, we'll have control of our borders and immigration after Brexit so that will be all better - it's not like we'll have to go begging to other countries for a trade deal which gives them great scope to have more visas granted to their benefit.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
      I was wondering what would be the impact of the proposed Trump changes on the UK contract market. Will Infosys, Tata and the likes flood the UK market with Indian out-source workers?

To say the least, we have more than enough of them already in the UK...
      From where I am sitting in London its already happened, if they ever need resource they don't look locally but to Infosys, Tata, Wipro or who ever the organisation has the relationship with.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        The executive order is to ask the government departments to apply the rules that already exist in the "right" way.

Although he spoke of scrapping the H-1B visa when campaigning, he hasn't announced anything like that so far.

Plus, of course, we'll have control of our borders and immigration after Brexit so that will be all better - it's not like we'll have to go begging to other countries for a trade deal which gives them great scope to have more visas granted to their benefit.
        The problem is, I don't think the current government has any idea what they are doing. It will be no wonder if they make an agreement with a third world country like India to relax the visa regime in exchange for some trade deals. It's very, very real...and quite scary

Comment

Old news US already told them a while ago:
          DOJ warning to US companies: Don't put American workers at disadvantage | Fox News
          U.S. Suspends Fast Processing of High-Tech Visa Applications | Fox Business

Also look at this lot I mentioned here in march!: ( http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...market-84.html )
          https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/209
          https://www.gov.uk/penalties-for-emp...llegal-workers
          Priority for British job seekers over foreign workers in the UK - InBrief.co.uk
          Anti-Immigration MAC says tighten UK Tier 2 Visa rules | Workpermit.com
          British Airways IT staff protest over claims of Tier 2 visa abuse | Workpermit.com

It's going to continue to take vital UK jobs away from UK citizens until someone wakes up in Government and tells the PM that actually there are no IT skill shortages nor have there been for at least 7 years !! Until the UK government acknowledges & actions this I expect more and more jobs to be given away to the low cost import consultancies.
          Many contractors are also complacent & smug about this issue as it does not directly affect them yet but sooner or later its going to take a bigger bite out of our incomes and your going to struggle to find a new contract once musical chairs kicks in and your left as the one without the chair to sit on Support is the area being hammered right now but its also rapidly moving into development, devops & dba.
          Last edited by uk contractor; 19 April 2017, 11:26. Reason: edited spaces out!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Old news US already told them a while ago:
            DOJ warning to US companies: Don't put American workers at disadvantage | Fox News
            U.S. Suspends Fast Processing of High-Tech Visa Applications | Fox Business

Also look at this lot I mentioned here in march!: ( http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...market-84.html )
            https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/209
            https://www.gov.uk/penalties-for-emp...llegal-workers
            Priority for British job seekers over foreign workers in the UK - InBrief.co.uk
            Anti-Immigration MAC says tighten UK Tier 2 Visa rules | Workpermit.com
            British Airways IT staff protest over claims of Tier 2 visa abuse | Workpermit.com

It's going to continue to take vital UK jobs away from UK citizens until someone wakes up in Government and tells the PM that actually there are no IT skill shortages nor have there been for at least 7 years !! Until the UK government acknowledges & actions this I expect more and more jobs to be given away to the low cost import consultancies.
            Many contractors are also complacent & smug about this issue as it does not directly affect them yet but sooner or later its going to take a bigger bite out of our incomes and your going to struggle to find a new contract once musical chairs kicks in and your left as the one without the chair to sit on Support is the area being hammered right now but its also rapidly moving into development, devops & dba.
            Yeah, and all the Indians I know voted Brexit. Makes me sick how they f*uck this country. Then blame it all on the Europeans...

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
              Yeah, and all the Indians I know voted Brexit. Makes me sick how they f*uck this country. Then blame it all on the Europeans...
              That is what your up against the greedy culture of remove the competition to prosper yourself! ...... the enemy within!

Comment

Or the work will be offshored.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Or the work will be offshored.
                  Or on-shored but virtualised and or calls re-routed offshore then back on-shore to some back street sweat shop in well known industrial business park nr Wembley

Comment

Laying the blame on the foreigners again I see, when we should perhaps be asking the (mostly white, British/American/European) boardrooms and SMTs why they go ahead with offshoring operations in the first place?

There is a rather reasonable line of thinking that suggests that without the 'bridge' of H1B and Tier 2, companies will simply start relocating their entire IT operations (not just development and data work) to India. I'd hold my horses on cheering on H1B/Tier2-ICT reductions.

On another note: why do the English language skills of the posters on this thread make me think they're actually Indian, and trolls?
                    Last edited by theroyale; 20 April 2017, 12:06.

Comment

Working...
                    X