+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    811
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    179

    Default

    When all is said and done the difference between the EU and a lot of the rest of the world is that it is possible for UK IT people to go and work in Europe. Realistically not a lot of the Eastern countries but the Northern European countries are defiantly in play.

    It isn't possible or desirable for us to work in India.

    Thye have made steps to reduce IT immigration but a lot of contractors have leave to stay now and they can't stop offshoring.

  2. #12

    Contractor Among Contractors

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,293
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    41
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Thye have made steps to reduce IT immigration but a lot of contractors have leave to stay now and they can't stop offshoring.
    Current Clientco uses multiple consultancies (IBM, ITC, Wipro, etc). Most of the onshore resources are from offshore but have been here so long they're now part of the furniture. The consultancies simply move them from position to position even if they're unqualified for the role. I have no idea why Clientco puts up with it.

  3. #13

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    17,192
    Thanks (Given)
    187
    Thanks (Received)
    712
    Likes (Given)
    1196
    Likes (Received)
    2548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theroyale View Post
    ...
    On another note: why do the English language skills of the posters on this thread make me think they're actually Indian, and trolls?
    I've checked, and there's only on contributor to this thread who matches that profile.
    You won. Get over it.

    --drunk on abuse of power--

  4. #14

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    427
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Given)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theroyale View Post
    Laying the blame on the foreigners again I see, when we should perhaps be asking the (mostly white, British/American/European) boardrooms and SMTs why they go ahead with offshoring operations in the first place?
    Other European countries are not nearly as keen on offshoring as the UK is. They value having people on-site. People who can readily communicate, understand and share the same values. For that reason, companies elsewhere in Europe tend to always have at a minimum a core team of EU staff who runs the show, and only then allow parts of the work to be performed elsewhere.

    E.g., they understand the value of collaboration and the actual cost that comes with offshoring to a location with far lower rates (on paper).

    Carnage in Indian IT? As Wipro fires 500, here is what other cos are doing | Business Standard News

  5. #15

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    493
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    22
    Likes (Given)
    88
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Other European countries are not nearly as keen on offshoring as the UK is. They value having people on-site. People who can readily communicate, understand and share the same values. For that reason, companies elsewhere in Europe tend to always have at a minimum a core team of EU staff who runs the show, and only then allow parts of the work to be performed elsewhere.

    E.g., they understand the value of collaboration and the actual cost that comes with offshoring to a location with far lower rates (on paper).

    Carnage in Indian IT? As Wipro fires 500, here is what other cos are doing | Business Standard News
    UK has a very greedy boardroom vulture culture probably more than other EU countries is why I think they are offshoring left right & centre. As US H1B target was breached in a week no doubt those 100,000s left with nothing will try to flood the UK (which is already over saturated with their compadre's!). Eventually it will sort itself out as the quality of local IT staff will speak for itself but I fear a lot of short term pain in the UK IT sector for local contractors especially but even perms will feel the heat when 2 x Tier 2 workers will still be cheaper than hiring one of them

  6. #16

    Still gathering requirements...

    skysies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    71
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    UK has a very greedy boardroom vulture culture probably more than other EU countries is why I think they are offshoring left right & centre. As US H1B target was breached in a week no doubt those 100,000s left with nothing will try to flood the UK (which is already over saturated with their compadre's!). Eventually it will sort itself out as the quality of local IT staff will speak for itself but I fear a lot of short term pain in the UK IT sector for local contractors especially but even perms will feel the heat when 2 x Tier 2 workers will still be cheaper than hiring one of them
    Yeah, I think the flooding will hit us soon. You say, this will sort itself out. The question is, when will that happen? 10, 20 years from now?

  7. #17

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    72
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    UK has a very greedy boardroom vulture culture probably more than other EU countries is why I think they are offshoring left right & centre. As US H1B target was breached in a week no doubt those 100,000s left with nothing will try to flood the UK (which is already over saturated with their compadre's!). Eventually it will sort itself out as the quality of local IT staff will speak for itself but I fear a lot of short term pain in the UK IT sector for local contractors especially but even perms will feel the heat when 2 x Tier 2 workers will still be cheaper than hiring one of them
    Well said. Its already happening. My previous contract ended in March (they were moved to Pune) and the ads I see are a minimum 20-25% less than normal rates. For the ones that had decent rates, I didn't receive any response whatsoever.

    Started working towards moving to different technology (e.g. Big Data) but finding it difficult to get a gig with no real experience in it.

  8. #18

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    493
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    22
    Likes (Given)
    88
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skysies View Post
    Yeah, I think the flooding will hit us soon. You say, this will sort itself out. The question is, when will that happen? 10, 20 years from now?
    10-20 years sounds about right sadly!

  9. #19

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    427
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Given)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    UK has a very greedy boardroom vulture culture probably more than other EU countries is why I think they are offshoring left right & centre. As US H1B target was breached in a week no doubt those 100,000s left with nothing will try to flood the UK (which is already over saturated with their compadre's!). Eventually it will sort itself out as the quality of local IT staff will speak for itself but I fear a lot of short term pain in the UK IT sector for local contractors especially but even perms will feel the heat when 2 x Tier 2 workers will still be cheaper than hiring one of them.
    Yes, end clients in the UK are now more and more looking for onsite contractors at offshore rates.

    I'm working all abroad (in the EU) nowadays. Not through UK agencies, because they try to undercut foreign local agencies while charging higher UK margins, leaving very little to UK contractors.

  10. #20

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    493
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    22
    Likes (Given)
    88
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
    Well said. Its already happening. My previous contract ended in March (they were moved to Pune) and the ads I see are a minimum 20-25% less than normal rates. For the ones that had decent rates, I didn't receive any response whatsoever.

    Started working towards moving to different technology (e.g. Big Data) but finding it difficult to get a gig with no real experience in it.
    Keep looking as lots of fake ads around few genuine jobs right now. I also noticed a disturbing new trend since mid April 2017 with several financial services clients insisting on contractor payment via Umbrella Inside IR35 which also takes rates down another 25-30%! At these rates it will be better paid working in another industry sadly


    This is the sort of thing UK Gov are considering in the building industry they need to consider now in IT as well!: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/341389...ith-6k-charge/
    Last edited by uk contractor; 26th April 2017 at 00:35. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.