+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 27

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When all is said and done the difference between the EU and a lot of the rest of the world is that it is possible for UK IT people to go and work in Europe. Realistically not a lot of the Eastern countries but the Northern European countries are defiantly in play.

It isn't possible or desirable for us to work in India.

Thye have made steps to reduce IT immigration but a lot of contractors have leave to stay now and they can't stop offshoring.

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Thye have made steps to reduce IT immigration but a lot of contractors have leave to stay now and they can't stop offshoring.
    Current Clientco uses multiple consultancies (IBM, ITC, Wipro, etc). Most of the onshore resources are from offshore but have been here so long they're now part of the furniture. The consultancies simply move them from position to position even if they're unqualified for the role. I have no idea why Clientco puts up with it.

Respect my authoritah!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theroyale View Post
    On another note: why do the English language skills of the posters on this thread make me think they're actually Indian, and trolls?
    I've checked, and there's only on contributor to this thread who matches that profile.
    You won. Get over it.

--drunk on abuse of power--

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theroyale View Post
    Laying the blame on the foreigners again I see, when we should perhaps be asking the (mostly white, British/American/European) boardrooms and SMTs why they go ahead with offshoring operations in the first place?
    Other European countries are not nearly as keen on offshoring as the UK is. They value having people on-site. People who can readily communicate, understand and share the same values. For that reason, companies elsewhere in Europe tend to always have at a minimum a core team of EU staff who runs the show, and only then allow parts of the work to be performed elsewhere.

E.g., they understand the value of collaboration and the actual cost that comes with offshoring to a location with far lower rates (on paper).

Carnage in Indian IT? As Wipro fires 500, here is what other cos are doing | Business Standard News

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Other European countries are not nearly as keen on offshoring as the UK is. They value having people on-site. People who can readily communicate, understand and share the same values. For that reason, companies elsewhere in Europe tend to always have at a minimum a core team of EU staff who runs the show, and only then allow parts of the work to be performed elsewhere.

E.g., they understand the value of collaboration and the actual cost that comes with offshoring to a location with far lower rates (on paper).

Carnage in Indian IT? As Wipro fires 500, here is what other cos are doing | Business Standard News
    UK has a very greedy boardroom vulture culture probably more than other EU countries is why I think they are offshoring left right & centre. As US H1B target was breached in a week no doubt those 100,000s left with nothing will try to flood the UK (which is already over saturated with their compadre's!). Eventually it will sort itself out as the quality of local IT staff will speak for itself but I fear a lot of short term pain in the UK IT sector for local contractors especially but even perms will feel the heat when 2 x Tier 2 workers will still be cheaper than hiring one of them

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    UK has a very greedy boardroom vulture culture probably more than other EU countries is why I think they are offshoring left right & centre. As US H1B target was breached in a week no doubt those 100,000s left with nothing will try to flood the UK (which is already over saturated with their compadre's!). Eventually it will sort itself out as the quality of local IT staff will speak for itself but I fear a lot of short term pain in the UK IT sector for local contractors especially but even perms will feel the heat when 2 x Tier 2 workers will still be cheaper than hiring one of them
    Yeah, I think the flooding will hit us soon. You say, this will sort itself out. The question is, when will that happen? 10, 20 years from now?

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well said. Its already happening. My previous contract ended in March (they were moved to Pune) and the ads I see are a minimum 20-25% less than normal rates. For the ones that had decent rates, I didn't receive any response whatsoever.

Started working towards moving to different technology (e.g. Big Data) but finding it difficult to get a gig with no real experience in it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by skysies View Post
    Yeah, I think the flooding will hit us soon. You say, this will sort itself out. The question is, when will that happen? 10, 20 years from now?
    10-20 years sounds about right sadly!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

UK has a very greedy boardroom vulture culture probably more than other EU countries is why I think they are offshoring left right & centre. As US H1B target was breached in a week no doubt those 100,000s left with nothing will try to flood the UK (which is already over saturated with their compadre's!). Eventually it will sort itself out as the quality of local IT staff will speak for itself but I fear a lot of short term pain in the UK IT sector for local contractors especially but even perms will feel the heat when 2 x Tier 2 workers will still be cheaper than hiring one of them.
    Yes, end clients in the UK are now more and more looking for onsite contractors at offshore rates.

I'm working all abroad (in the EU) nowadays. Not through UK agencies, because they try to undercut foreign local agencies while charging higher UK margins, leaving very little to UK contractors.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
    Well said. Its already happening. My previous contract ended in March (they were moved to Pune) and the ads I see are a minimum 20-25% less than normal rates. For the ones that had decent rates, I didn't receive any response whatsoever.

Started working towards moving to different technology (e.g. Big Data) but finding it difficult to get a gig with no real experience in it.
    Keep looking as lots of fake ads around few genuine jobs right now. I also noticed a disturbing new trend since mid April 2017 with several financial services clients insisting on contractor payment via Umbrella Inside IR35 which also takes rates down another 25-30%! At these rates it will be better paid working in another industry sadly

This is the sort of thing UK Gov are considering in the building industry they need to consider now in IT as well!: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/341389...ith-6k-charge/
    Last edited by uk contractor; 26th April 2017 at 00:35. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast