• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud AZURE and AWS contract roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
    If you have been contracting a long time you will understand that you have to go through training throughout if not, will get old and rusty.

You also need to understand that there's something called learning on the job. Before people eat me up here, i dont mean taking a big role of an architect to design a full AWS cloud environment, i mean supporting minor aws jobs and scale up. If you want to wait to be a top professional in AWS before u start contracting then im sorry , you are not a contractor and also before you finish learning aws , i think EBAY will come up with theirs lol
    Clients do not pay you to learn on the job, are you cut out to be a contractor?

Comment

I've been playing with Azure for a few months, still a bit cloud sceptical but you can do a lot with it, esp with my field of SQL. They keep adding new features/tweaks all the time.

Even passed one of the exams for SQL Server 2016 (but was all Azure based questions), not had much response from clients, but I'm sure that will change, once they want to ride the wave of THE NEXT BIG THING.

Gotta keep learning to keep the green flowin'!

qh
      Last edited by quackhandle; 12 April 2017, 15:30.
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Some do but not in an open way.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

HA! i should ask you that!

if you have actually contracted! Have you ever had a dead contract? where they pay you to sit on the desk and mope around? ha!

i have been on a contract role for 3 months doing jack tulip! got in for an Active directory migration role, but it wont start cos the company they bought off haven't finalised stuff with management. so instead of losing me, they decided to keep me there mopping !

Comment

HA! i should ask you that!

if you have actually contracted! Have you ever had a dead contract? where they pay you to sit on the desk and mope around? ha!

i have been on a contract role for 3 months doing jack tulip! got in for an Active directory migration role, but it wont start cos the company they bought off haven't finalised stuff with management. so instead of losing me, they decided to keep me there mopping !
            Ignore the haters, money is money in this day and age

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You are correct on this one!. You need to know code to a little extend, obviously you dont want to jump deep down into Cloud developer and stuff. Starting up from the basic AWS support and you work your way up to the devOPS. thats my plan.
              No really, you need to learn how to code.

json at least.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                No really, you need to learn how to code.

json at least.
                And Ruby if Puppet is involved. Basically, anyone with any Unix scripting can do the same but that's just IMHO.....

When I was at one major bank yonks ago scripted a total partition of an IBM frame, VIO, OS installs and applications via NIM and xCAT. No reason it couldn't be extended to do CI/CD...

Maybe!

Comment

And Ruby if Puppet is involved. Basically, anyone with any Unix scripting can do the same but that's just IMHO.....

When I was at one major bank yonks ago scripted a total partition of an IBM frame, VIO, OS installs and applications via NIM and xCAT. No reason it couldn't be extended to do CI/CD...

Maybe!
                  People already do script for CI/CD. Hence some devops ads mention ruby, python etc
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Puppet has its own DSL. You can build an entire enterprise in the cloud or on-premise using puppet without doing anything that would pass as Ruby development.

Comment

The good news is people will be jumping off the cloud one they see the bill, so it's not just one off to the cloud migration.
                      Tt's both directions and hybrid - for scaling up occasionally.
                      There's quite a lot of moving parts, AWS alone has 100+ services for DNS, logging, routing, storage etc etc, so it's hard to be an expert in all of those.
                      I'd probably say you should specialize with one cloud vendor and just learn different names of the equivalent products.
                      If you're any good with shell, you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X